Pre M, How long to sod

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Organix, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Organix

Organix LawnSite Member

I have a problem. I messed up and put Pre-M down before the installation of a sod lawn. I did not realize it had a route inhibitor in it. It rained hard that same day, so there was not really an opportunity to use the charcoal, tank wash stuff lesco sells. I really don't have a good way to apply it anyway.

I had intended to use Ronstar, but I think I confused the guy at lesco talking about 2 different customers at the same time and he did not realize this was for a new lawn and told me the Pre M would work good enough, is cheaper and approved for residental lawns.

The reason I wanted to put the Pre m down is because this area has been full of weeds for years and It was not clear how soon they would get to installing the lawn and I did not want to have to keep spraying round up until they got to that point.

So I was told I need to wait 30 to 60 days. I was going to wait about 30, probably roto till the area, and then spread at least a 1/2 inch more of un treated top soil on top of that.

I'd like to get your input to see if you think that will work or if you any other ideas, suggestions or comments.

Thanks in advance.

2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

If applied at labeled rates it shouldn't cause too much of a problem with the sod. Pre-M is for use on mature lawns (not seedling) and sod is a mature lawn that is being transplanted. Pre-M doesn't stop all root growth, just some of it. Rototilling would be a good idea as it would dilute the concentration of Pre-M at the sod soil interface and it will alleviate compaction which will help with rooting of the sod. As far as being told to wait 30-60 days that is only if you were going to seed an area treated with Pre-M.