Pre M on fall seeded lawns?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lance1, Feb 12, 2006.

1. lance1

lance1 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I'm new to this GREAT site. Question is should I use a pre m this spring on customers lawns that were seeded in late October Early November or should I just treat the weeds & crabgrass later. Really appreciate your replies of your experiences with this scenario.

2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I will not use a Pre-Emergence on the lawns I seeded late in the fall, instead I will put down a round of starter fert. I already explained to these customers they would experience a degree of weed growth and that getting the turf established is the most important thing at this point (spring '06), I went on to explain to them if we get the turf up to a healthy stand we can use a Post-Emergence such as Drive to help bring weeds under control.

3. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

What were the lawns like last year? Heavy crabgrass then means trouble this year.

Drive would work if you only have a light outbreak.

Not having enough info, I would do R-1 starter fert. and R-2 Dimension as late as you can using soil temperature for proper timing.

4. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

if the #1 desire is to get the grass to germinate from last fall you cannot use a normal pre emergence product to prevent annual grass germination this spring. It will also prevent the new seeds from germination.

5. lance1

lance1 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

garydale, the lawn last year had some spots of crabgrass.
    The property is 1.4 acres in a 2 year old development.
    The neighbors lawn is a mess, totally cover with crabgrass last year.
    The seed has germinated already. It was tall fescue & Bluegrass blend.
    Lots of clay in the soil.
    The lawn still is not totally filled in but I'm hoping with a feeding in the early spring things will fill in. Just don't want to halt the establishment with a pre emergent. With this info do you have any other suggestions.
    Thanks for your previus recommendations.

6. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Get a soil thermometer and check soil temps on south side of property. Crabgrass germinates at 55 degrees+/- at about two inch depth.

Great thing about Dimension is it's post emergent action on young crabgrass.
    Keep Drive handy for breakouts.

There is a product called Tupersan that is made for seeded areas. Check with Southern States Coop if one is near you.

7. lance1

lance1 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Thanks again Gary, your response makes sense.