Pre M or seed

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jbailey52, Mar 12, 2007.

1. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok so my fert. sprayer left the company. This left me to get licensed until we can replace him. My question is at one perticular residence, there are some bare spots from the irrigation now working last year and the grass frying out. It needs to be reseeded. So, so I reseed the area (blue grass / rye) now, and do pre or post m later? Or Do I do the Pre -m Now? The lawn really didnt have any weed problems last season. Also irrigation is installed

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No idea....this is an unanswerable question for you. I've said it before, and I'll say it again......as a member, you are SO much better off to state your location in the slot...thats what it is for.

3. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I would seed when temps are right and put down starter fertilizer(eg.14-22-10). Spot treat the weeds as they come.
    -Jay

4. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

no offense meant here runner, but, you don't have to know the location to answer this question, just a little common sense. location has little to do with whether or not a preM will prevent seed from coming up.

If you put down the PreM and then seed, it will not come up. simple.

Jay's advice is good. listen to him.

5. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Runner this is my first post on this side of the site. And to be honest, I have never saw you on here, or know anything about you. Likewise you dont know of me. I ponder why you responded with such arrogance. My location is NJ.. I have never heard you tell others they should have there location entered. I think the easier way would have just been to ask me where I am from... the "where are you from" is 4 words... You used about 30 to respond with a message that helped noone

6. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Agree with runner because location matters for proper timing, which experts like runner like to do it right the first time....Timing is everything.

J Bailey.

Get the seed/straw on those bare spots now with some starter fert.
    Pre-M lawn after 2nd mowing. If you get some early crabgrass breakthrough, hit it in late june or early july with a crabgrass post-emergent.

Get you license, it's easy :)

Pete

7. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I would seed and use starter, like Jay said. You can always use Drive to clean up weeds as they come. It'll clean up broadleaf and grassy weeds, and is safe for new seedings.

8. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

There is also a starter fert w/ siduron 3.5% crabgrass preventer. Ratio is 10-15-10.. Being that you are in jersey, you can get this at Jonathan Green. If you feel you Need a pre-emergent
    -Jay