Pre-m played out.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by hmartin, Aug 29, 2006.

1. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

I applied 2 lbs. AI of pendimethalin during March and .4 AI Barricade in May on my lawns. I have not had any crabgrass to speak of until this week. It rained 3 days last week, and now I have lots of crabgrass.

I think that I am going to use all Barricade next year. I would like to get away with one app of .75 AI Barricade, but I don't know if that will last me all season in my climate. Crabgrass germinates for about 7 months here. How many people are using 1 lb. AI Barricade in the spring in warm humid climates like mine?

2. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

If it worked...why change anything?? I still think your better with split app of pre-m in our climate.

3. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Running 1lb ai/acre of prodiamine (Barricade) here in TN and results are very good overall. Very little crabgrass breakthrough even at this late-date in the season. Since I do a ton of overseeding in the fall it needs to break down in the next 2 wks so app. timing is critical. Depending on soil temps. we try to get all the app.s down in the spring before they reach 45 deg. at a 2" depth. That is why sometimes in March we will be treating in the rain. Broadleaves are relatively easy to go back and treat if results are sub-par. Crabgrass, not so much. Anyway, if all your lawns are warm-seaon you may consider bumping up your rate of Barricade even higher. I believe going to 1.25-1.5 lb ai/acre may be your best bet for control and still keep costs in line.

4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I went at 1 lb AI/Acre in February and March.

Maybe 10% of my warm season lawns have showed isolated spots of crabgrass breakthrough this month. These lawns are the ones that are either overwatered, have drainage/runoff problems, or are poorly mowed.

Considering that we had a very dry Summer, the 1 lb rate worked well. However it does concern me that if we had a wet Summer things might have been different. For that reason, I might be bumping up to 1.25 lbs next year. But still, I think the one application of Barricade is a good idea because it simply costs more to split your Spring apps (if you do granular that is)