Pre M safe for livestock

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Slyder777, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Slyder777

Slyder777 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I had a guy call today and ask if I had any type of pre m I could apply to an area where he keeps horses. He can keep them out of the area for the re-entry period, but I am not sure what can be used. What I am using now won't work. (Pendi and simazine). Anyone know of a decent pre m labled for use in livestock area. He is mainly battling stickers (Sandbur most likely).

Thanks

Shawn

2. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

no replys yet so i'll tose in my 2cents worth

i cant think of any preemergent that will do a decent control for sandspur?
    not much help I know. might be best to talk with your sales rep?

3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I have kind of had the same question myself. Not exactly though. I do not think pre-emergence will be a problem , it will be your choice of post emergence broadleaf weed control. Grazon is your weed control of choice for this. I have 2.5 acres with my daughters quarterhorse on it. I am planning on spraying the pasture with pre-emergence and Grazon this Spring. I also would like to fertilize it. This is where my fear of doing something wrong arises. I've heard of hay being cut too soon after being fertilized and making cattle sick. I think I am going to alternate fertilizing different areas of the pasture to try to avoid this problem. We have spent a lot of money on that horse and I don't want to cause a problem trying to make things better for it. If anyone has any knowledge on any or all of these subjects, I'd love to hear them...

4. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

From my experience horses get sick even if you look at them funny!
    Caution is my advice.

5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I grew up around quarter horses, and I wouldn't recommend anything but the following :

Get Roundup original at Tractor Supply, or wherever, and mix it to the maximum strength allowable on the label.
    Then add 1 Tbs. dish soap per gallon of spray mixed.
    Add a blue tracker dye to solution.
    Make a 'cone' drift protector for your sprayer nozzle.

As you're cutting all undesirable pasture weeds down to about 1" from the ground, spray them with the solution; trying not to 'overspray' too much onto adjacent grasses.
    (A cone protector will help in doing this.)
    And the blue tracker dye will help you see where you've been, and where you've NOT been.

Keep the horses / cattle out until the dye's been watered in by rain, or otherwise a reasonable reentry period established by the label (so long as the product and dye has been rinsed into the ground).

I strongly recommend that you don't use pre-emergents in pastures !!!
    :nono:

6. ted putnam

That's what I needed to know Marcos. What about fertilization. Right now I have about 3/4 acre planted in annual rye. Other than that the horse is strictly eating grain and Bermuda hay at this time. It won't be long and the pasture will begin to green and I will back off on the hay. So what do you think, would it be all right to fertilize the forage that's there? If I did, I would alternate areas.

7. Marcos

We never fertilized the pastures with anything but with the manure from a simple mechanical manure spreader, pulled with a old Ford tractor.

It's an easy way to get rid of the horse poop from the barn, fertilize the fields, and apply a "soil holding" mixture of manure... and horsepee-soaked hay and sawdust.

In my business today, as soon as the soccer season's done in late fall; I use a very modern version of what my dad had, on these playing fields...but with manure AND rotted leaves !!
    (sHHHH !! Don't tell the soccer moms...they'd FREAK !!)
    :laugh:

8. GREEN-UP

GREEN-UP LawnSite Member
    from sw ohio

I took care of 2 horse farms last year and you could not even get a drop of granular in the pasture areas. The owners had problems in the past w companies overspreading into the areas. The horses get curious and eat the pellets and get very sick. So I have been told by the owners and stable managers. I just stay away from.

9. Marcos

The problem with it, Green Up, Ted, is that fertilizers contain potassium, which is a type of SALT.
    And as you probably already know...horses and other animals go after salt blocks as part of their diet.

But once they get a stomach full of 'N'....

...it's "hershey squirts" time for Trigger !!!

:cry::nono:

10. ted putnam

Thanks guys, I appreciate your advice. I had it in my head I was going to have that pasture looking like one of my lawns. You guys shot those dreams down in flames. That's all right though. The feed store where I do business has pelletized chicken manure that I can run in my PG. I'll go that route if I do anything.
    Thanks again.