Pre-M Stains

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Feb 10, 2005.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I just made the switch from granular pre-m to liquid. I'm noticing a lot of yellow stains on everything.

This winter, I was remodeling my house. I had a plastic box that we use to store extra granular product in (as in the hopper has 15 pounds of 0-0-7 and now I need to use the spreader to apply Top Choice). Anyway, this box was stained yellow from Pre-M. We set it on top of the dryer for a few weeks while we remodeled the house. The pre-m stained the top of the dryer.

The dryer was solid white and the yellow stains stood out really bad. I tried soaking a rag in bleach and laying it over the stain for a few hours. No effect. I scrubbed and scrubbed with a bleach soaked rag. Still no effect. I finally figured I would have to set the dryer out in the sun on a warm spring day to get it to fade. Anyway, I just checked the dryer yesterday and the stain is completely gone. No sunlight at all. Probably about 6 weeks later.

Does the sun in fact cause pre-m stains to fade faster? Or is it just a matter of some kind of evaporation? Or what?

One customer called to complain about the pre-m stains on her wood fence. I told her it should fade within 7 to 10 days. I really didn't know what to tell her.

Help.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. slow release

slow release LawnSite Member

Pendimethalin (PRE-M) stains do fade. This occurs due to photodegredation (sunlight), microbial activity and chemical breakdown. I hope your dryer isn't full of soil microbes(haha).

3. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I recall some years back a genius up there with Mega Co had to walk through a house to spray the back. Well guess what happened.....lol

4. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

The Lesco dealer told me that Pre-M can stain permanently if the surface is porous. He said he was brought in on an incident a year ago wherein an applicator had accidentally sprayed the stuff on some kind of vinyl siding and it wouldn't come off. The insurance company ended up paying a claim.

There are people who will complain and raise he!! over the littlest things. I don't doubt the story at all. But after seeing the stuff fade off of my dryer, my gut feeling tells me that if the customer would have just waited a few weeks everything would have been fine.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

5. Mike15

Mike15 LawnSite Member

I visited a competiors place of business last year. Their crews had been applying Pre-M for three weeks. I went into their bathroom to wash my hands, their toilet seat was stained yellow. That means that the product went through the techs pants, through his underwear and onto his butt. There was still enough staining capability left to stain the toilet seat. Pre-M stains, stains, stains. Its cost per acre is attractive but why would anyone use a product that can cause so much grief?

6. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Ah yes...the infamous yellow cloud......change pre- emergents :)

7. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

wow, that makes you think about what you can't see.

8. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

++++wow, that makes you think about what you can't see++++

It really does make you stop and think. And it makes the customers think about it too when they see it on their sidewalks, etc.

I might have to find another pre-emergent with similar controls that won't stain. Maybe I'll end up paying a little more, but if it doesn't stain, I think it might be worth it.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

9. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Yes Dimension is a good product and is user friendly to handle, I also like barricade.

10. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Pendulun is cheap
    Aqua cap ,2.5 gal, will do 100,000 square feet .

I spilled some pendulun 3.3 smelly stainey stuff, in my truck bed.
    A few days later I took it to Macco for a paint job , planed to before the spill.
    I thought the white paint would cover it all up .
    No way .
    It came through and I thought it was locked in for ever .
    A few months went by and I remembered to look and see if it was still there .
    It was finally gone .
    Took several months to fade away .
    So , even though it was painted over , it fades away.
    Kool huh ?