Pre-M Time? In DFW

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by xtremelawn, Jan 20, 2008.

1. xtremelawn

xtremelawn LawnSite Member
    from USA

I was just wondering when everyone was going to start their Apps for crabgrass. I will be doing a split app of DG AQUA CAPS.
    Is now the right time or should i wait ?

Thanks

2. Morningside

Morningside LawnSite Member

I am wondering the same thing. we might have a spring like last year. early warm and wet. the weeds grew like crazy, i had trouble all season.

3. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I was thinking the same thing. Outside of the front that we have now, the winter has been REAL mild. Soil temps are probably a lot warmer now than they were a year ago.

I'm thinking Pre-M with simizine for any apps made after the first of February... After March 1, just Pre-M.

4. ChemicalKing

ChemicalKing LawnSite Member

If you have power sprayers, the best pre-m by far is always liquid. FYI - the pendi products are short lived & you will likely see crabgrass later in the Summer with this product. I recommend symazine or atrazine (if you already did symazine in the Fall) in January, while the turf is still dormant. This targets the poa annua, rescuegrass & henbit that germinates in the cool season. The best crabgrass prevention for the money is Barricade (much longer residual than Pendi). Stay away from the cheap generics, & buy only the syngenta brand of prodiamine (Barricade). Use either 65 WDG or the new FL formula. You want to apply the barricade no earlier than mid February, if crabgrass is your target. You will also want to at least spot spray the BL weeds with a 3 way herbicide (being careful in St Augustine Turf).

January is a great time to clean up the cool season weeds, hell you can use roundup without any turf injury, as long as the grass is nice & dormant - by mid Feb it is too late to get any viable control of the cool season grasses.

5. tntrex

tntrex LawnSite Member
    from TX

Is that what these green painted yards are I'm starting to see? barricade with dye?

6. ChemicalKing

Some services use an indicator die, so they can see if something was missed. Another service that we sometimes offer is an actual green colorant that can be applied to the dormant (brown) turfgrass. I do it to my lawn in the winter...Looks deep emerald green & requires no mowing! The catch is you have to redo it at least once a month.:waving:

7. tntrex

tntrex LawnSite Member
    from TX

Nah. What I'm seeing is a green like "puke". light green. Is is pre-emergents already being put out?

8. ChemicalKing

indicator die or maybe if they are mixing pendi (yellow stuff) with a urea based fertilizer.

Most likely it is a spray indicator die.