1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pre-M vs Dimension vs TruGreen

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jan 29, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I've been getting fairly good results with Pre-M from Lesco. I apply pre-M four times a year. Here's my current pre-m app schedule:

early feb........0-0-7 with pre-m
    early apr........25-2-5 with pre-m
    early oct.........25-2-5 with pre-m
    early dec........0-0-7 with pre-m

I also have two fert apps during the summer with no pre-m.

Anyway, I have two customers that I mow for who live adjacent to one another. Both lawns are bermuda. One uses TruGreen/Chemlawn and the other uses my fert/app service. They share a small area of lawn between their two driveways. Neither property has an automatic sprinkler system.

The guy who's using Trugreen has a VERY clean dormant bermuda lawn right now. He waters his front lawn pretty good. The guys who uses my fert/app service almost never waters.

Occassionally, the guy who waters his lawn pretty good drags the hose over and waters the common lawn between the two driveways. When he does water the common lawn, the sprinkler he's using waters the entire area. The common area lawn gets exactly the same watering and exactly the same mowing. The only difference is the fert/app.

My point is, the Trugreen/Chemlawn side of the lawn looks a lot cleaner than the side that I've treated. The side I've treated has a lot of grassy weeds. The pre-m seems to be doing ok with the broadleaf weeds on this particular property, but not so good with the grassy weeds.

When I worked for Chemlawn 14 years ago, they used pre-m.

Anyway, the last time I was in the Landscape Supply store, I noticed they had a palet of Lesco 0-0-7 with Dimension. It was a lot more expensive than the 0-0-7 with pre-m. I'm certainly willing to pay more for materials if it means better weed control.

Does anybody know what type of pre-emergent herbicide Trugreen is using in the DFW market? Does anyone know if Dimension is worth the extra $$$ as compared to pre-m?

Attached is a picture of the common area lawn between the two driveways. The left half has been treated with Trugreen/Chemlawn...the right half has been treated with my service.

DFW Area Landscaper

pre-m vs chemlawn.jpg
  2. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

DFW I have had the same questions as you on the different pre-ms that are on the market. So I'll share with you what one of my friendly competitors told me. Check your PM Tony

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

is the other side being sprayed with contact weed control?
    do u spray 4 weeds or just do gran apps?
  4. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

++++do u spray 4 weeds or just do gran apps?++++

I spray with 4 gallon back pack sprayer. Confront for broadleaf weeds, MSMA in the summer for grassy weeds & Manage in the summer for Nutsedge.

DFW Area Landscaper

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

thats good just asking
    in my area pa alot of times tg sprays weed juice on many apps
    i spot spray like u do why waste product
    i use dimension and like it i do go at the heavier rate due to rain
    if u r using gran app the string trimmers and blowers may move the product away from where u applied it and u get breakthrough
    with liquid apps it tends to stay a little better
  6. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

Dimension is a very good product. It is a little more xpensive, but I have found the results to be outstanding. I don't even spray I just use the granular fert combo. I believe it has some post emergent qualities in it also?????????
  7. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

I was not logged in so I did not see the pic. Is that fescue, rye, etc??????????????? No pre emergent is going to rid that problem, too much pre-m will also stunt plant growth.....
  8. GBCS

GBCS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Tony, please don't leave me/us hanging on with one. :cry: PM me if you like.
  9. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

++++Is that fescue, rye, etc++++

Yup, it's rye, mostly. I see it on every lawn I've treated with Pre-M. Usually, it's not a problem in the middle of the lawn, where there's full sun and thick, dense turf. But I do notice a lot of rye along walkways, foundations, and especially along the north sides of the homes where it's shadier and the turf is a little thinner.

Maybe I'll try the Dimensioni product next fall. I've already bought enough 0-0-7 with Pre-M for this year.

DFW Area Landscaper
  10. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

why couldnt you just roundup spray it if you want it dead and the bermuda is dormant? im a florida boy so we dont do things like what your talking about!