Pre-med to landscaping...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Kohls Landscaping Co, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Kohls Landscaping Co

Kohls Landscaping Co LawnSite Member

This isn't a question or anything, but I thought I would just back-up how well the landscaping industry is doing as a whole.

I am 19 and have been mowing and landsaping since 1995 with the help of an older brother. My older brother graduated from high school with a 4.26 GPA and is at the University of Dayton in pre-med and is carrying a 3.9 GPA. He is in a program where he is already accepted in the University of Cincinatti's medical school. With all this going for him, he just asked me the other day if he could go into the landscaping business with me. Next year we are going to be running two crews and he will help me expand while I am majoring in Landscape Horticulture at OSU.

I believe that it is easily possible to become more successful in the landscaping business than becoming a doctor as my brother and I will prove. I just thought I'd share this with you guys...

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Less lawsuits too.payup

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I'm finishing up my BS in computer info systems, specializing in networking this coming december. I've been lookin for a job since Jan 02, 2003 without finding ONE opening that would hire me. There just isn't any room in this economy (thanks dubya) for entry level computer geeks. So I've decided that I'm going to finish my BS in CIS and then start on a horticulture/landscape degree and work outside for the rest of my life :)

4. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a cousin who had a very nice lawn business for years. He sold his half to his partner when he was 30 or so and decided to go into pre-med. Hes just now becoming a family doctor at close to 40 years old. He says he thinks he would be happy doing either or. I'm glad your brother is doing what he wants to do.

5. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS LawnSite Member

if you love your brother tell him NO ,He can start a lawn business after he becomes a doctor.. i don't care how much money you make or how much you love the lawn business . we are a dime a dozen that a fact just look at your phone book.Tell him to stay in school so he can have something to fall back on.then he can do both if he likes

6. Kohls Landscaping Co

I kinda see where you are coming from, however....

(1) He will be spending 4 years in medical school and 3 years in residency (which is not too exciting for him).
    (2) He does not particularly like the idea of having a $120,000 debt when done with medical school.
    (3) Currently, insurance companies are basically determining what doctors are making becuase of the what they will 'pay.'
    (4) Never being outside during the day is not how he has grown up.

As for having the landscaping company as for something to 'fall back on,' I think the four things I mentioned above state that it is not as simple as you make it out to be.

Also, yes, I do love my brother. It was his idea to ask me to go into landscaping with me. I don't see how having him not becoming a doctor is not loving him (what the hell???). He is doing something that he loves and it's not being forced on him by anyone else.

Last of all, in today's economy and society it takes risks to become successful. It doesn't happen overnight and nothing is guaranteed.

7. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

You have me curious.

Did the basis for GPA change in the last 20 years?

When I went, a 4.0 was the highest.

A = 4
    B = 3
    C = 2

How did he get over a 4.0 in the first post?

8. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Regarding the 4.0+ GPA, yes things have changed. Students in high school who take advanced placement courses get higher weighted grades due to the difficulty of the courses so the top students routinely carry a GPA above 4.0.

Another reason for the brother to pursue his degree is that life does not guarantee you perfect physical health so demanding physical work may one day be impossible for any of us. Oh, yeah, that's why we have Doctors isn't it?

9. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

Do yourself and your brother a big favor. You become succesful at landscaping and your brother pursue his career in the medical field.
    Believe me, if your brother wants to be outside he can play golf on the course your keeping care of one day.

10. Kohls Landscaping Co

Thank you lanelle... yes, times have changed and my brother took many AP (advanced placement) courses during highschool. This would explain his GPA being above a 4.0 and graduating 11th in his class.

As for physical labor, I realize already at the young age of 19 that I am already not able to perform some of physically demanding tasks that I was once able to. This is why my brother and I plan on expanding our company into a multi-million dollar company and be in management positions in 5-10 years. Scoff all you want, but it will happen.

**Just a reminder, I posted this thread to reinforce that the landscape industry has the potential for people to become very successful. Regardless of a person's potential to become a doctor which seems to be the only way today to become very 'rich' in today's society.**