Pre M's - spray vs granular

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Bull, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Looking at the Lesco site and I see that they only offer one Pre M that is in granular form while they offer several in the spray form. Is the spray more effective in creating the barrier and if using the granulated form does the Lesco brand (Ronco) work better than the Scott's brand? I am not sure about the active ingredient or % in either at this time.

2. ns400r

ns400r LawnSite Member

Bull, Ive always felt you get better coverage and control when spraying PreM's

If your set up for spraying already then I think its wise to do this, however if your not setup for spraying and mixing in other materials like fert, weed or insect controls, then i think you would be better off with just using the granular combo products.

You gotta way the cost of one, compared to the results of another. There is no sense using the best possible materials if your not priced right or set up right and you dont make money.

There are some purest on this site, that will just recommend the best agronomic advise, but may hurt someone that is not pricing their program with their advise, then there are the canned lawncare guys that may uses profits to make up there mind on what materials they use, I guess the best is somewhere in the middle.

So ask yourself where do you fall, then go from there.

3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Only one product in granular form????? Not the case.

Lesco carries Pre-M (pendimethalin), Stonewall (Barricade), and Dimension all in granular form.

4. Bull

from NC

I may be confused but try going to the Lesco website using the above link. Then click on products, then control products and then use the series of four drop down boxes and to me it appears once you get to the last drop down box and select standard particle it comes up with only one option (Ronstar). Maybe I am looking at this wrong. If so please let me know. Thanks and by the way I misquoted the product name in my original post. Ronstar is what is listed.

5. ThreeWide

Since almost all of Lesco's granular pre-emergents contain fertilizer, you need to look in the group for Combination Products - Turfgrass.

Then you should see what you are looking for.

6. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

I agree 100%. The key to success with a pre-emerge is good uniform coverage and liquid is always going to win that battle. We still do a good amount of granular, but when trying to prevent along the "hot spots" ie. along driveways, sidewalks, thin & bare ares, the liquid has worked better for me 15 out of 15 years.

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have always gone granular. Iv'e done lesco's pre-em split app a couple years, not mush luck with that here.. Went to deminsion for a season, that did ok, but I used a single app rate. For that last 3 years I have been using barricade. I use a single app rate of .43% I have had good luck for the most part with this. Honestly I think in past years I was having troubles because I was actually applying it too late in the spring as barricade takes a couple weeks to fully activate in the soil.

I have only 2 lawns I spray liquid, Both I have been using Deminsion and I do it a little later so I can mix in 3 way to catch the broadleaves too. the only reason I am spraying them is because the homeowner fertilizes the property himself and puts down more than is already needed and I'm not about too add more fertilizer to it with a combo granular product. The lawn is about 2 acres, so it's worth the trouble. The results from the liquid demension, just a single app, have been awesome!! This lawn went years without ever having a pre-emergent put on it. I sprayed it ONE TIME and got nearly 90% control on the crabgrass! the next year was even better as I fudged and kinda doubled up on the edges along the circle drive and sidewalks where the crabgrass was always the worst. I was probably pushing 98% control then! I honestly could mow the entire place in late august and not find any crabgrass poking thru. If I didn't mind dragging hose so much and didn't have the Kansas wind to fight so often I would go liquid a lot more.

Only drawback is having to come back and put your fert down as usual. Unless you go liquid with that too, but that requires 4 to 6 gal. per K or water and I only have a 100 gal. sprayer, so that's just not real feasable...

8. Bull

from NC

TurfUnlimited, I see what you are saying about the combination products. Let me mention what I had planned and you may suggest a better avenue. I was going to do the pre m app by itself and then come back in about four to six weeks and do the post \ broadleaf and fert application as a combination. I do have my liscense but I have to be honest with you I do not feel good about doing a spray application. I have always felt hesitant about this and I realize that it hinders my flexibility to a great extent. What is your opinion? And by the way thanks to all for the help thus far.

9. ns400r

ns400r LawnSite Member

Im thinking your just asking Turf here, but Im gonna inject my thoughts on this question if you dont mind.

What kinda of equipment do you have to do this liquid app of Pre emergent? Are you gonna spray PreM, Team, barricade or Dimension? If getting great control is the goal, and you are only worried about 1 or 2 lawns, then you would be better off using the granular pre app, then applying either Drive, or acclaim later in the spring. I have a lot of lawns I spray a blanket app of acclaim in mid to late june, just before crab has come up, and those lawns dont have a blade of crab in them. Not quite IPM, but these customers dont care.

If you dont feel comfortable with spraying, then dont do it. We went away from spraying a few years ago, mostly because we where sick of the liability in driving a truck around all day loaded with 100's of gallons of juice. Sooner or later something is gonna happen, and I would rather it happen with some bags of fert and the most 5 gallons of juice in my PG.

10. ThreeWide

If you get your preemergent out at the right time, your next application should be fertilizer only. Spot spray what few weeds you have at that time. Heck, you might not have any at all. That's the beauty of when the preemergent works properly...very little spraying is required.