Pre-Paid Legal Services

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Greenbrier, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Greenbrier

Greenbrier LawnSite Member

Has anyone used this service? I was thinking about it just in case something bad happens. You never know. I called them and they gave me a web site that is currently down. WWW.JoinPPL.com. That is a bad sign to me. What alternative do you use or recommend.

Thanks,

Coop

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Find a good business attorney and talk to him about paying him a retainer fee each month. That should buy you so many hrs of his time if needed for letters or legal advise etc. Some months you will pay and never use him and he makes out, other months you will use his services a lot and you make out.
    When and if you can develop a working relationship he should let your unused portion roll over month to month till he's needed. That way if your involved in a law suit or something thats will cost 10 k and you have built up 5 k in retainer fees you would only owe him 5 k. Stay away from those plans that you listed, most of those are new or don't specialize in business law

BTW-- a good business attorneys retainers should run from $80-$150 a month depending on what you expect from him

3. Greenbrier

Thanks for the info. Do you highly recommend retaining an attorney? Or, is it just a good idea, and an expence that could wait until its really needed?

Thanks again,

Coop

4. olderthandirt

from here

personally I have always had one on retainer and don't regret it for a second. I look at it like insurence you hope you never need it but your awful thankful that you have it if theres a claim. I hope I don't need his services but when I do [BTW you will need one at some point if your in any kind of business long enough] I'm glad that there available NOW and that there partially or completly paid for

5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

If your going to run a business,retaining an attorney should be at the top of the list.You might not need the attorney often,but it is good to have your posterior covered.We just switched attorneys a few months ago,one that makes our business a priority,and her fees just can't be beat .

6. Greenbrier

Thanks a lot, I'll be surfing the yellow pages for a good one locally.
    I hope I'll never need them!!

Coop

7. VanceTrendov

VanceTrendov LawnSite Member

From what i understand about prepail legal is they are a company that gets lawyers togethers payes them a retainer then collects money from the member, and they also have a business program

8. olderthandirt

from here

They get attorneys that are not what I would describe as the best in any field, none really specialize in anything. So if your gonna pay a retainer why not find an attorney your comfatable with use him. BTW-- I tried the prepaid legal plan once and you pay for every little extra thing you can think of.
    So if you think prepaid is cheaper its really not in the long run.

9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had prepaid legal back when I drove truck, It was worth having then, If I remember right it was around 75 bucks a quarter and would handle any driving violations except DWI, that was worth having as a driver because they had a nationwide network of lawyers to handle tickets in any state or area. to me now I would find it worthless, the retaining of a local attorney is a much better way to have it. you establish your relationship this way, on prepaid, you never know if you will have the same attorney.

10. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I must be real lucky. I have been in business for 30 years and never needed any legal assistence. I do have a very good CPA.