pre pay and coupons -- what works best for you?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Oct 17, 2011.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I'm curious what kind of return and success you have had on picking up new customers by offering pre pay and other coupons? I've never pushed these, but thinking I might offer it to help build the app business.

Is a 5% pre pay discount on a 6 app program too much? What is the going rate?

As for coupons. I would push them early before the season started. I was thinking of a "new signups get 25% or 50% off 1st app" or a referral coupon to give to new and existing customers "referr a friend save $20 off next app". What has worked best for you?

2. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Why 6 apps?

3. grassmasterswilson

from nc

Why not? I have found that works best for the turf I treat and growing season.

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I do 5% for my prepays. However, they don't go to new customers - I reward my returning customers with the prepays. Only my best returning customers (pay on time, non complaining/whining, etc) get sent prepay option.

5. Glenn Lawn Care

I was just curious... I do 5 and I think that's 1 more than needed.

6. grassmasterswilson

from nc

Gotcha. We start round 1 in late feburary and finish up in November. We have both warm and cool season turf. I play around with the number of apps every year and sometimes cool season could get away with 5, but warm season will need 7! So I feel my 6 apps is a complete program of pre, post, fert, and lime.

7. Glenn Lawn Care

I also didn't realize where you were from.

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Glenn,

I think a 4 step pgm is a solid choice here in MN. I add in Fall Aeration to all of my programs.

I do like my 5 step cadillac one though. It enables me to spot spray in July/Aug for those nasty summer annual broadleafs like oxalis, nutsedge, etc. With my 4 stepper, I hollow out the hot part of the summer.