pre pay customers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by MudslinginFX4, Apr 2, 2004.

1. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

How many of you guys (and gals) have your normal maintenance customers on the pre pay plan. I have never had them pre pay before but was wondering about others. I have several customers who do pre pay me but they are not required. This question was brought about when a customer I was talking to today asked me why I don't have everyone pre paying. I basically told him that I didn't think all the customers would agree with that type of plan. And the other thing, the good customers are the ones that don't mind paying early (and I'm not worried about them anyways), it's the others that are always hard to decide about.

2. coyoteman

coyoteman LawnSite Member

We offer a 10% discount to pre paying customers. It helps with start up costs and less collections that need to be made. I find many people like to pay up front when they have the extra money, especially at income tax refund time.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

no discount here, about half on pre pay. all new customers prepay.

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

It is an option for me. Not everyone is interested, but I do offer it for those who are.

:D

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

It is written into my estimate sheet that they have to prepay. I find it easier that way, rather than having to explain it to them. And almost no one disputes it. maybe 1 out of 20, and that is a high guess. Everyone prepays for me, except for some commercials that wont no matter what, but with them i have a contract anyway. And no, no discount for it either.

6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

we have one that prepays for the year......... If we don't use up the total amount it carries over to the next year. works out great!

7. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Three different options for me..

1) Pay per cut.. Billed monthly

2) 3-payment plan.. 1st payment due at signature of contract. 2nd due June 31, 3rd due August 31.. 5% discount for that..

3) 100% down.. Entire season paid upfront.. 10% discount..

Percentages that use each are:

1) 68%
    2) 24%
    3) 8%

8. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

All residental: Prepay or no cut
    Commercial: Bill monthly

9. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

we dont offer a prepay program but our sub fert company gives a 6% prepay discount

10. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I have certain residential customers that prepay a few weeks in advance and some who don't. At minimum I require pay per cut due within 10 days.