Pre-paying customer's how is it working out

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Jan 2, 2007.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We are in the process of adopting a few new policy's for 2007, one of which is requiring our residential customer's to pre pay each month. I know a few of you guys do this already and I have a few questions, if and when you are unable to mow due to dry conditions what do you do? (refund or credit their account, show up and do 30 dollars worth of work?) Unlike a "seasonal contract" where you have to show up and sometimes do unnecessary work no matter what because they paid for it, I thought this might be a better alternative and hopefully eliminate slow and late paying customer's. Any feedback is appreciated.

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I would do a little extra work and be sure they know it and could see it.

3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

So your saying you still showed up as if you were mowing, right?

4. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Pre-paid is the ONLY way to go. In OUR agreement, we state that we reserve the right to reschedule 2 maintenance visits per season for either weather, equipment or any other reason we seem fit.

We also state that any missed visits over and above 2 will result in a credit towards future work. I have never been questioned on this EVER as the only other area a customers puts his/her signature or initials on the agreement are smack dab to the above statement.

It's hard not to do the work when we are paid seasonally and our living is based on timely payments but it also isn't fair to get paid or just show up and do a half a$$ job for the sake of saying you did "something".

Generally, (speaking of my area and my history only) the 2 week rule usually is all we need and keeps us paid.

5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Your help wants to be paid.

6. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I get pre-paid for 2- 4 cuts. The ones I see come out with a check or I knock on the door. Some tape a check to the inside of the storm door for 1- 4 cuts. This works for me because of my cutting in the evenings. I only have 2 monthly customers who get billed and I am switching them over in 2007. If a customer is not home and they have nothing left in their account I cut the lawn and leave a bill for the service and they send me a check for 2-4 cuts or tape it to their storm door because they know I will drive by the next day. My route is very tight so this is convient for me. I just told people I was not in the credit business and it was fairly easy to convert them. Some have even offered to pre-pay the entire season but I turned that down. I don't have contracts but I have had my customers for a long time.

7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

We never miss a service. Everything is irrigated and we just don't get enough rain to keep us from mowing every week.

Now as I post this we will probably get the mother of all el nino's and we wont cut for two weeks. :laugh:

I think you are on the right track. There is always something that needs to be done in the yard and as long as it is noticeable I don't think you clients would have a problem with it. You might drop them a note on those occasions to call their attention to what you have done. Sometimes the clients can't put their finger on what happened, they just noticed things looked better.

8. Can-Do Lawn Care

Can-Do Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Liquidfast, do you mind posting your pre-pay agreement? I would like to see some examples. Thanks

9. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

It works good for me a lot of times people will not be home when I show so I by pre paying I dont have to chase then down and stuff all I do is carry the bill book with me and do the paper work take each service call out of there balance and note the dates I did the service

10. William Camp

William Camp LawnSite Member

I have a few customers that prepay for the season.