Pre Pays

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bohiaa, Jul 13, 2007.

1. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

You guys ever get pre pays ?

I got this check in the mail yesterday, The customer said they wanted to pre pay, it's there summer home that they visit about 1 to 2 times a year.

it was $8000.00 this should look really good on my taxes...:hammerhead:

2. Langford2000

Langford2000 LawnSite Member

I get prepaid on one of my accounts - they pay for three cuts at a time. Sure beats the hell out of the no pays

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Thats fantastic! You must be doing a very nice job. Nothing beats money up front...nothing is worse then having to chase someone down to get money out of them.

4. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

Bohiaa,

You're gripping about never having to chase this account for XX months?

I sure ain't no accountant but having passed financial accounting once, I think the prepaid money is accounts payable and until you provide each portion of the service is a liability. May not screw up your taxes depending on your accounting method. Please keep in mind that I used to be Willie Nelson's tax adviser though so you may want to use some of the $8K to hire an accountant.

5. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

I've got a few that pay ahead some, one gal that's a saint and pays me a couple ahead, and another guy that was so happy I could mow his lawn on short notice for him he paid me for 2 months in $20's right there.

6. GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

Record it as a Work In Progress. Credit WIP for the $8,000 and debit it every time you mow for the amount you charge for weekly mowing. Then credit your General Revenues.

As far as accounting goes, I think that's how it should be done.

I have a couple people prepay each month. I like it, but it's easier to just keep everyone on the billing system in my opinion.

7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I've slowly been converting my customers to prepay over the years. I started billing at the end of the month for services rendered. This is the worst possible way to do things because you are financing them for 60 days then. I then switched everyone to being billed at the beginning of the month for expected services & due before the last day of the month. If any extra services are done they will be on a separate invoice. This has worked very well because they only have one (maybe 2) invoice per month & they frequently prepay so they don't have to worry about losing their bill.

8. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

bohiaa, I had the same thing happen.

New customer, 2 acre property, $6,450.

She didn't want to deal with the "monthly thing". You know it's such a hustle.

:cool2:

9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

thanks, yea I was wondering how to handle the money, I dont have an accountant. just a tax man,

thanks again

10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

All residentials prepay me. Not for the year though, just one month ahead.