1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, Feb 28, 2005.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I offered a 5% discount to one of my full service accounts $2000 a year. SO its about $100 off. He said he has no problem pre-paying but brought up the point what if I die or something and cant service his lawn, so he said he wouldn't do that inless some how he was guarented to get his money back if something were to happen. So you guys have anything or know of an account or contract form to use. I would really like to have an extra $1900 in the begining of the season. PS the guy seemed pissed off when i refused his offer of him pre-paying monthly to get the 5% off. Go figure.
  2. grassyfras

Any of you guys even do pre-pays?
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i had one just last week, pre paid season up front. the dying thing...well, tell you what, give him something in writing saying if you die, you will come back and refund his money
  4. derek1

derek1 LawnSite Member

LMAO :D :D
  5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

If the guy is that worried about the prepay, offer to put the money into an escrow for him. I've never had a problem with that.
  6. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

A good businessman would never ask for a year up front.If you don't have running captial,need to find a part time job at a fast food chain :p

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Ask him this. What if.......he didn't prepay, and you serviced his yard a few weeks, then he died. Same principle. Tell him he can make a claim on your estate, just like you would have to if he croaked and he owed you money. As for prepays, if they prepay for 10 cuts, I'll give them the first fertilizer app free.
  8. grassyfras

Thanks guy. How does that escrow account work. I really would like to actually be able to use the money in the beigning of the year. I like the idea of comming back from the dead and refunding his money. This guy is just a PITA
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have one customer that prepaid for 2 of his properties and I ended up giving him a discount. But it says right in the contract that there are no cash refunds, only credits to the account.
  10. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

absolutely true... cutting down on receivables and spending time trying to figure out what to do with early, positive cashflow is a clear sign of a fastfood candidate. ;)