Pre & Post emergent weed control in South Florida St. Augustine & Floritam grasses

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jvanvliet, Aug 4, 2009.

1. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Does any-one have experience in treating St. Augustine grasses with SpeedZone™ St. Augustine Formula & Gallery 75?

:confused:

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Yes, I use gallery on Centipede and St. Augustine grasses. The least effect on root pruning. What is your question?

3. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

like roy said whats your question....

4. jvanvliet

I Have read reports SpeedZone™ St. Augustine Formula is damaging to Floritam lawns and reports that it is not. Since I have a limited application license, I cannot get an Atrazine product with sufficient concentration to be efective so I am considering Speedzone. The question is, does anyone have experience using Speedzone on St.Augustine or Floritam lawns in South Florida (Broward & Palm Beach Counties)? If so, waht was your experience, when did you apply it and at what application rate.

5. gregory

i have never used speed zone southern so i can not speak about that. ric told me he has used it and had no damnage to flortam i think the rate was .75oz per k like i said i have never used it so i can not say...you might try manor or manision from lesco....add some quicksilver to it also...

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

jvanvliet

Since you only have a LIMITED Application License, You can not LEGALLY treat Turf Grass with any Pesticide let alone purchase RUP products. If this is your ""OWN"" yard, then go to Home Depot and buy Weed Be Gone which is Homeowner 3 way herbicide.

Speedzone was originally labelled for Floratam, But a Law suit by a Tampa based company had Gordons take Floratam off the label, but they left other St Augustine cultivars on the label. I have never used Speedzone, but I do use other 3 way herbicides of very similar formulation. This time of year with higher than normal temperature, 3 way herbicides are a very bad choice and have heat restrictions on the label. While I have used 3 Way Herbicides at lower rates in summer, there is always a chance of burning Floratam Turf.

My personal advice to you is to hire a Real Licenced Professional to do turf grass and Learn the Limitations of your very Limited License.

7. gregory

there you go from the horse's mouth....

8. jvanvliet

Thank you for the information regarding my limited application license. I'm sure that may be true in your state but in Florida, as I am able to apply any non-restriced pesticide to any lawn for a fee in Florida. That's why i got the license, to be able to treat my customers L & O. The limitation is that I am unable to use any mechanized equipment. All applications must be done by hand sprayer or backpack.

9. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

WRONG.. You can apply to any caution label product to landscaping NOT turf. You also cannot advertise for pest control. That is why they call it the "roundup liscence". Look it up on the dacs website.

10. jvanvliet

I stand corrected. What a monumental waste of time, energy and money for a frigging license to apply round up. leave it to the gvt.:rolleyes: