Pre-Qualification

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Total Landscape Solutions, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Total Landscape Solutions

Total Landscape Solutions LawnSite Member

I did a search and found that the topic of pre-qualifying customers on the phone (or otherwise) may not been covered since '02.

I was wondering for any of the members still here since that time, or any other members, have you since re-worked your qualification questions or tactics. I know the basic questions still most likely apply:
    1. How did you hear about us?
    2. What sparked your interest in .....?
    3. Have you worked with a landscape/hardascape/maintenance/irrigation/ lighting business before?
    4. How long have you lived in your house?
    5. Have you made a decision on a budget for this project?

Anyone add a question they didn't think about in the beginning, or maybe change the delivery based on successes or failures? Any one question that you think is a must?

2. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

Good topic. Thanks.

I ask
    Obvious Contact Info
    How you hear about us?
    Is there a Current Company?
    Have you contacted anyone else about this project?

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Statement : I only use quality products with skilled installation so I have a product I can back up and be proud to represent.

4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I started doing this at towards the end of last year. I just told them we have a minimum of "x" amount for mowing and that took care of probably 85% of them. If they can't afford the whopin' 25-30 bucks then chances are they are going to be deadbeats. Another question was where in the city are you located, our schedule was very full and I didnt want to take on any more work but I'm too greedy so I didnt want to turn them down. I just said something like sorry were only taking customers on the "west" or "east" side of town. Hopefully this helped a little.

5. Duekster

from DFW, TX

My business partner runs a res biz and he takes on a few bi-weeklies and balances them out but they get Tuesdays.

6. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

How soon are you looking to start the project?

Who will make the final decision? - most people assume it is the man who makes the decisions but studies show the woman does more than 50% of the time.

What will make this project a success for you?

What is the most important aspect of this project for you?

What is your budget? The answer will probably tell you how committed they are to proceeding versus just window shopping.

7. Duekster

from DFW, TX

I think who will make the decision is a good one! What you should as, to expand, "will the discision maker be there when the estimate is made?"