PRE-SEASON TANNING?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Mar 11, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Do any of you hit the tanning bed before the season starts? I am asking because last year I got fried the first week out and do not want this to happen again. If you do tan how many times do you go before the season starts? I just thought this might stop some of the pain and suffering the first few times out in the sun.
    What are you thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Mowman

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I was going to ask this question too, but I didn`t think many guys would do the tanning thing.

The reason I am tanning this year is because I can NOT stand an uneven tan. Then when I want to go swimming, I look silly with my stomach being all white, and especially my feet. That is the worst. White feet.
    Then I feel funny wearing sandals.

So I bought a package for the month of March. $30.00.
    I couldn`t believe it when the lady said people are only starting out going 3 minutes in the bed. But she was right. Those new reflector bulbs are darn good. I am now up to 7 minutes and I am coming along good. I plan on going for the whole month which is 5 days each week. Then come April, I am going to buy a maintenance plan to keep up so my feet and stomach stay tanned.

I don`t think you can go just a couple of sessions. That won`t make much of a difference I don`t think.

3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowman,i tan about 1 a week just so that i don't look like casper, yea it would be a good idea, if you get fried, when you go out to cut, most places only cost like $20 for a few seccions and thats all you will need to get a base tan.

4. LiVe2

LiVe2 LawnSite Member

Yea I hate an uneven tan too but I dont want to get skin cancer either I wish there was a pill we could take that would be kinda like sunscreen only in pill form

5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm Italian and dark complected. No need for a tanning bed here.LOL

6. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I know what your talking about, because I also lifegaurd in the morning and at night. I wouldn't do it, because it's bad for your skin. Use lots of sun screen if you burn easy.

7. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

My tanning sched: Get fried the first month, endure my wife and friends laughing at my white feet when swimming, spend every Sunday morning for the rest of the season reading the paper in the back yard trying to tan everything but my face, arms and legs between the knee and ankle.

8. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

johnboy that funny about covering everything that isn't tanned,

9. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

Gosh those tan lines are my bookkeeper the more uneven the line the higher my checking account gets!!! At the begining of the season Im in the red just like the forearms but by the end of the season im almost black...just like the checking account!!! Hand in hand HAHAHAHA

10. mmorgan

mmorgan LawnSite Member

buy sunblock!!! Waterbabies works best. Spend your tanning money at the gym during the off months. Keep the spare tire down and the first few weeks of the season go a lot better. No aches and pains!!!
    (tanning beds, you guys slay me!!!)