pre season tuneups

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dmk395, Mar 5, 2013.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

I run 3, 23 hp wright standers. Usually I do my pre season tuneup myself. Clean cooling fins, change oil, plugs, fuel filters etc. Same with my Stihl back back blowers etc. Do most of u guys do this stuff yourself or bring to your local dealer?
  2. Monroe74

Monroe74 LawnSite Senior Member

I do it myself. Not saying all dealers are bad but i've had my fill of bad ones
  3. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Do it myself, not sure why anyone in the business would pay someone for something they could easily do themselves and save the $$$. Basic maintenance is a must know how if your in this business.
  4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

We try to do all our service we been wrenching like slapper says. but we usually solve the problem. Preventive maintenance is the key,if you can try to stay with manufacture filter's there is a big difference,try one day after it has been used cut open a manufacture oil filter what a difference. On 2 stroke fuel filters I use only manufactur. I know $7 bucks for fuel filter for 2 stroke but it pays off.:waving::waving:
  5. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

All lawn equipment MUST go back to the dealer. Especially in NJ.
    And don't question the bills, just pay them. :)
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't see hydro oil and filter change and hydro belt....those would be close to top of list for those wright units. Also do lyou check spindles for wear that is a 600hr wearout thing. As a rule I always replace the starter relay those are junk and only last short time.
  7. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I use this time to fix what's actually broken.
  8. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

I change plugs, all filters, all fluids, and check all belts this time of year. On even years I even replace all fuel lines. I take every spindle apart, that's right every spindle. I have four mowers. That's 11 spindles total. I clean each part with kerosene repack it with grease.:weightlifter:
  9. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey hotdog that's a lot work are you getting good results.
    How many hours on those spindles.:waving:
  10. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

A few hundred a year at most. I realize it is overkill. It gives me something to do when there is no snow. I even take the deck off one of my four mowers and sandblast and paint it each year. I paint each deck every year. I prob do way more than needed in the winter. But, it sure is nice to come in after mowin all day and know I don't have to work all night in the shop getting ready for the next day. I paint covers and cases, blower tubes and all each piece of 2 stroke equipment each year. My Dad and Uncle both did this before me. They say its way over board. I just take allot of pride in my equipment.:weightlifter: