Pre Soaking Seed For Hydroseeding?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by snowmizer, Jul 19, 2008.

1. snowmizer

snowmizer LawnSite Member

Wondering If Anyone Has Done This. They Say If You Presoak The Seed Overnight You Will Have Up To 50% Quicker Germination?. What Happens If You Presoak And Then Can Not Spray The Next Day Due To Weather Etc. How Long Could You Keep This Presoaked Seed. Picked Up My Hydroseeder A Couple Weeks Ago And The Jobs Are Starting To Come In And I Am Dying To Try This. Any Feed Back Would Be Great

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

At Warwick Hills, where hey hold the Buick Open, they pre-soak seed in a "tea" for a few days while the open is going on. When it is done, the bags come up out of the large kettles, and are drained. This seed is then used and new grass is growing within days. Mixing glyphosate in with he slurry will help promote a quicker germination, as well.

3. snowmizer

glyphosate? is that what they put in weedkillers? so it sounds like the seed may be okay for a day or two?

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, gly is a non selective herbicide..used for killing off grasses and weeds (originally developed as a growth regulator). Anyway, it softens the seed shell - allowing for easier and faster embryo emergence. And yes,...soaking your seed may be alright for a day or two, but I DO believe that it has to be drained well and allowed to ventilate just a bit (still remaining moist). If not, this could allow the seed to rot.

5. snowmizer

I guess i should check into that. I was planning on soaking it (overnight) then going right to the job to spray in the morning. That is if it ever stops raining here.Thanks for the response.

6. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Works great to soak it overnight then spray.:usflag:

7. snowmizer

allright i am going to soak it,will see how it turns out. maybe i will look like a superstar.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Don't forget your starter. And again a few weeks later if you really want results. I actually contract with a local landscaper that does a bunch of hydroseeding. he always has marginal and mediocre results. Since we teamed up, he is loving life, because he comes out looking like superman on his finished product. he doesn't pre-soak, and I don't mean to get off the subject,...I was just making reference the starter and repeat application.

9. snowmizer

RUNNER,
    So after a couple weeks you hit it again with starter fert.? Ive been only hydroseeding for a couple weeks now and im liking these little tips. Thanks again for all the info guys.

10. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

I have never been impressed with our hydro seeding results .We get way better results with drill seeding and straw erosion matting ,especially during the dog days of summer .Mystery top soil only adds to problem. Home owner want grass right now and want it done as cheap as possible ,so give them options and don't guarantee anything .