Pre-weathered copper.

Discussion in 'Unique Lighting' started by Lite4, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Nate or Joey,
    I had a customer ask me last night if I could get the copper lights pre-weathered from the factory. She doesn't like the bright copper. I know there is a treatment that can be applied to do it, but was just wondering if this is possible to have pre done at the factory? If you can, what is the additional cost per fixture to do this?
    Thanks guys

2. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

We can perform a finish that is brand new and we call the Monte Cristo finish. It is a heat treatment we do to the copper that gives it this really cool weathered look. I will try and post some pics but it looks alot like this (see photo) with a bit more marbleizing effect. I hope that makes sense? It has a list price adder of $110.00. So our Illuminator 6 is a list price of $106.71 so add $110 that makes the fixture a list of $216.71. It does jack the price upa bit but again this is not a shemical application or a powder coat, it is a heat treatment that is a lot more labor intensive. Other than that you can always powder coat them and you can always apply the salt and vinegar solution. If they like the rich brown justbsell them on Weathered Brass!

[​IMG]

3. Lite4

Holy Cow Dog Batman!!!! Your talking some serious gravy for that treatment. Yeah, I think I would just go to the brass.
    Thanks Joey.

4. JoeyD

I know we pay a copper ARTIST to perform the finish. I will post some pics, it is really nice!

5. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

Tim,

I Just bought three unique paths for my demo, and I'm gonna get some more of the other copper fixtures. I plan to leave them outside, or treat with a solution, so I can show people what to expect. If I don't use a solution, I'll have a better idea on timelines and expectations. If they insist on the aged look right away, I can just sell them my demo fixtures and do it all over again.

Mike

6. JoeyD

Play with the solution a bit and see how it works best for you. I encourage you to just let them patina naturally. It doesnt take very long for them to begin darkening and weathering into a walnut brown look. I am not a huge fan of the chemicly sped up patina application on copper.

7. Lite4

I was wondering what is the secret aging formula for copper. The antithesis of the fountain of youth for metal.

8. JoeyD