Pre-wetting systems

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by snowblade, Jan 14, 2000.

1. snowblade

snowblade LawnSite Member

With the storm that just passed by in my area, and the amount of black ice, I was wondering about pre-wetting systems. How much does it help melt the ice or snow. Does it help enough that you'd need to buy one. Does anyone here use them? Do they do a good job? How much do they cost? Do you have any links to companies that make pre-wetting systems?<p>Thanks in advance<p>Justin

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I have 4 pre-wet systems, i don't use them that much at all. I got all 4 when i bought my v-box spreaders, the dealer was selling them at a good price. Meyer/Diamond/Swenson all offer pre-wet systems, because Swenson is owned by meyer, and builds speaders for all of meyers companies. Meyer actually has some neat setups for spreaders that i haven't sean any where else, they offer a replacement tailgate spreader for dumpbodies, and an under the tailgate spreader, both with pre-wet.<p>Anyways i use Mag/chloride in my pre-wet systems. It coats the salt, sand , or sand/salt mix with the liquid. This helps to make the salt work at lower temps so less material is needed. If i have a high trafic area such as an intersection, hill, curve, or any place where traction is a must. I will tell the driver to turn on the pre-wet system and keep the material speed the same, when the mag/chloride hits the sand and salt, it works a lot better than just sand/salt. It will melt a lot more snow and ice, then just sand and salt, or even pure salt.<p>Geoff<p>

3. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

Also by useing the pre-wet system you can treat sand/salt to work at lower temperatures. The pre-wet system will spray the sand/salt with a chemical of your choice, which will increase salt's effectiveness.<p>Geoff

4. snowblade

snowblade LawnSite Member

thanks Geoff for your replies. Have you used them yet this season? Also, how much did they cost? do you think they're worth it ?<br>thanks again<br>Justin

5. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

I have used them this year, when we had about 3/4&quot; of snow and ice. We plowed off most of it, but there were sports that cars had driven over, we hit them with salt/sand with out the pre-wet, then we had to plow resand and plow, with the pre-wet sand/salt then plow. I got my pre-wet just a little above cost, because the dealer couldn't sell them about 600 bucks each. <p>My advice is if you want a pre-wet buy a new v-box with the pre-wet installed. That way you know it's going to work and not have to go back to the dealer, and fight with him. If you put it on an existing v-box have the dealer install it, to avoide warrenty conflicts. <p>My brand of choice is either a diamond or a meyer, which are both built by swenson. <p>If you run a lot of pure salt apps, and not much salt and sand a pre-wet is for you. I have heard you cut your material use in half with a pre-wet, and make salt effective at temps as low a -20. I could be wrong, just what I have heard. I run a lot of sand/salt so the pre-wet doesn't help me quite as much. I use the pre-wet on high traffic and tough spots.<p>Geoff

6. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

We were going to add a prewet system this year, however we pre coated our salt and sand piles with a mix of mag chloride and a corn by product. You can contact John Parker at NY Snow Pros for more info. His # is 914-485-4200. We also had alot of ice, and the pretreated material worked great, melted the ice right off even with the 0 degree temps. The great thibg with this product is that it removes all the corrosivness of the salt and it works down to -20 degrees. It is much cheaper than a pre wet system, and you dont have to handle or store any liquid.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

7. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

Don't try to fill any pre-wet system with out a transfer pump. I now have a gas can that has a pump on it that has never stored gas. This works great to fill the pre-wet systems.<p>Geoff