1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

    Dismiss Notice

Preacher and the Lawn Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottfarmn, Jul 26, 2008.

  1. scottfarmn

    scottfarmn LawnSite Member
    Posts: 14

    A Preacher was riding a bicyle down the street when he came up on a boy trying to sell a Murry push mower. Preacher said, son will you trade me this bicycle for that lawn mower. Boy said it's a deal. The boy rode off and the preacher started trying to crank the mower but it would not crank. He hollered at the boy and told him to come back. The boy pulled up and the preacher told him you gipped me, this mower want crank. The boy said mister you've got to cuss it to make it crank. The preacher said son I am a Babtist preacher and have not cussed in 30 years, I've probable forgot how to cuss. The boy said Mister, keep pulling on that cord, it will come back to ya.

    SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,443

    Sounds like me with my stihl backpack blower. The piece of **** is 2 months old and a pain in the butt to start, but my 3 year old echo cranks everytime.
  3. ALC-GregH

    ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA
    Posts: 7,053

    don't know if it's related but my shreader/vac has 2 tanks through it and needs a carb. Won't stay primed. I'd take it back and have your dealer look at it.
  4. scottfarmn

    scottfarmn LawnSite Member
    Posts: 14

    Snapper man, something's wrong, take it back to dealer. Just bought the br600. Cranks on first pull. Man it is sweeeeet.

    SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,443

    Well I no longer go to the dealer that I bought it at because I questioned him on something and he called me a dumbass. Its a 420 and its weird because80% of the time it starts easily but the other 20% it is a pain in the ass.
  6. Strick

    Strick LawnSite Member
    Posts: 52

    Snapper Man - replace plug, also choke only once, the Stihl 400 and 420s flood easily. Maybe this will help.
  7. scottfarmn

    scottfarmn LawnSite Member
    Posts: 14

    Make sure exhaust is not stopped up. Dirt dobbers can do it.
  8. slawn

    slawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 326

    My Stihl 420 is the same way. Easy to flood, one time it will crank on first or second pull. You can sit it down come back a little while later and it won't crank for nothing.
  9. ed2hess

    ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 13,203

    They do flood easily and they seem to have more pressure build up in the tank and hot days. We try to open caps before we try to start them. Stihl guy did say that they did a manuf/quality problem with coils and to bring them in to see if in the serial range.

    SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,443

    Shiznit. I love the blower because it is powerful and light but its like fricken bipolar. One minute it works great and the next its trash.

Share This Page