Precast Footings

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by amscapes03, Apr 25, 2013.

1. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone ever use these before? I'm putting up a 16' x 24' shed/out-building on my property in the next few weeks. I plan on using EZ-Tubes for my footings. 3 rows of 5. Going to go down almost 5', compacting a 6" crushed stone base, setting the base section and then using 4 standard pieces. Seems like a very cool product. Looking forward to NOT having to mix a pallet of concrete.

http://e-zcrete.com/eztube_instructionalvideo.html

2. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

What do they cost? Why not call a truck?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. amscapes03

$120 for base, four 4' sections and anchor.

4. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer LawnSite Member

How does one level the base when it is 4-5' down a small hole? Good idea they have just not practical for all applications. Mailboxes yes, deck footings no.

5. amscapes03

Two ways, using my backhoe for both. The hole/holes aren't that small.

1. Dig individual holes. Yes the hole would be a bit oversized, but i need a 30" x 30" area (minimum) for the base section anyway. Hole would be big enough for my reversible compactor to be lowered in with backhoe.

2. The easiest way, to me at least. Dig a trench 2.5' wide 5' deep and 24' in length. Plate the 6" of crushed stone. Lower my 5 base sections in.

6. amscapes03

Shed is about 120 feet from street. Truck would have to drive over my leach field to even attempt to move in closer. Not sure how much more they'd charge to have a pumper come in. How far can they pump?

7. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Pumper? Use a wheelbarrow.

You're talking about excavating 15 yards to install these things. Sounds more like a day dream
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I've had concrete pumped for me with a two inch trailer mounted pump upwards of 300ft. And no problems of having pressure or getting mud to the forms.

A pump here is $300. I'll pay $300 before wheelbarrowing if its a lot. You gotta remember when wheelbarrowing that it's gonna take much longer to place. So your break between placing and finishing will be much shorter. If it doesn't start setting before you finish placing..
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

My shop is built on perma columns. There are some additional benefits, but the main advantage is speed. Depending on your weight distributing method you could literally be framing minutes after your footing inspection.