preemergent and sod

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rixtag, Mar 12, 2003.

1. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

A friend of mine has had orchardgrass overrun his front yard. He has killed it and is going to sod it.

What would you reccomend to keep the orchard grass from coming up through the new sod?

Can he use a pre-m and have success or will it affect the sod and make no difference on the o/grass coming back?

Thanks in advance.

PS. I did a search.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

A pre-m will have no or very little effect on the grass coming through. All the pre-m does is affect the seeds from germinating. I f he killed all the old existing grass, chances are, he's in good shape. Any grass that DOES come up will be from pre-existing rhyzomes.

3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Orchardgrass is a forage grass. Detail info at http://eesc.orst.edu/AgComWebFile/EdMat/pnw502.pdf and many other university publications. Its normal growth in pasture setting is 2'-4', so it generally will not go to seed in a lawn setting. If properly killed off, it should be gone. BUT, where did it come from in the first place. Is this lawn recent pastureland, or near existing pasture with orchardgrass? If so, future control may be difficult.

Using a pre-emergent when sodding will pretty much stop the sod from properly rooting.

4. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

Thanks for the info guys:) I will pass along the info. It definitely was former farm property.:(