1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Preemergent and Spring Clean up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnnyjay, Feb 10, 2001.

1. johnnyjay

johnnyjay LawnSite Member

Preemergent and Spring Clean up

Do you do Spring Cleanup before putting down preemergent or do you wait until just before the grass starts to grow? LESCO recommends put down preemergent in Feb in the Atlanta Area.

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Last year I put mine down in Feb, ahd a few problems with late crabgrass when the Dimension was wearing off. I plan on doing Dimension in half dose and a second app later to help with the problem, we'll see...

As for the question, I would think it wouldn't matter as long as you waited a few days after the fert was put down. With the weather like it is now, I've already started cleaning up.
  3. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

I usually put Pre down in mid march. I do the split application and put down the other half in May or June
  4. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

We start the first app in late Feb and a second app in late mar, then spot treatments after that with broadleaf/crabgrass control.
  5. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

Is "timing" (when to apply) art or science? what dertermines it? I understand that it's soil temp...? do you stick a thermometer in the ground?)
  6. moonarrow

moonarrow LawnSite Member

The purpose of putting it down in Feb is to get it down before the weed seeds start to germinate you wait to long it doesn't have effiecent effect
  7. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

When you mean cleanups are you asking about turf or ornamental beds? I think cleanups can begin at anytime in the spring when you feel the majority of winter is gone. We tend to leave the grass a little long out here over the winter but definetly remove large clump areas of leafs.

As far as signs of spring, in our area quite a few people look for Forsythia's to bloom as a ear mark to begin Pre-E aplications. We also have a soil thermometer in the grass at our shop. The thermometer is checked first thing in the morning, usually between 7-8am. You want the true 24 temp, though it will go up during the day. We look for a consistent 50 plus degrees and try to have the majority of the treatments completed by that time.

There are many ways to tell when the time is right. Just try not to run your applications by Economics, stick with the Agronomics of the program.
  8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We begin our Spring Clean-Ups as close to the third week of march as possible. Upon completeion of this service we apply our Pre-M as the first application.

Hope this helps,
  9. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

Mscotrid: Since we don't have Forsythias out here... I guess the temp is really the indicator I need to look at.

moonarrow: I know early is better - I just dont want to have to apply it twice (it's effectiveness diminishes after a month or so, no?)
  10. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Well from what i've been told .If the ground temp gets above 65 or when you see the yellow leaves on the forsenthia bushes the seeds have already began to sprout.an a pre -m kills the seed b-4 they spout.so it's to late to kill seed.?correct me if i'am wrong but thats what i've been told .We try an start by the 14th depending on the weather.