1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

preemergents of spring

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by IGROTURF, Dec 31, 2002.

1. IGROTURF

IGROTURF LawnSite Member
    from CHAR NC

what is everybody going to do about your preemergent apps this spring?
    In th past I have done splits. I am in the south and I swear my growing season never ends. I need crabgrass control until aug.

I like dimesion at .25lb of ai twice with .75lbs N round 1 .50 round 2.

Have a great new years and my your turf be green and weed free!!!!!:)

igroturf in N.C.

2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I, too, use split apps of Pre-M. I have been using Lesco pre-m, with good results. Dimension costs more but will give better results because of its density. I may try it this time around. Some of my fall pre-m's were applied a little late, so I have had (and still am) to spot with Atrzine or round-Up for poa anna. I used Lesco pre-m for the fall apps.

3. IGROTURF

IGROTURF LawnSite Member
    from CHAR NC

GREENMAN THANKS.

I GUESS YOU ARE TREATING BERMUDA FOR POA CONTROL WITH PRE-M. DID YOU TRY THE 2LB ai RATE?
    I HAVE DONE .50 OF DIME IN LATE AUG SEEDED W/ PRG IN 60 DAYS AND THEN TREATED AGAIN IN 1ST FEB WITH .25 DIME FOR THE SECOND FLUSH OF PAO WITH GOOD LUCK.

MUST OF THE TURF I TREAT IS TURF TYPE TALL FESCUE.

IGROTURF.

4. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

No, I have not tried the 1/2 rate (split app.) for fall. The reason for the poa anna emerging is because on a few properties (approx.8 or 10), I did not get good control because I did not get the pre-m down until Nov. (I know,way too late,that's how busy I was). The turf I maintain is Bermuda and zoysia (my favorite), and a little St.Auggie and Centipede.

5. IGROTURF

IGROTURF LawnSite Member
    from CHAR NC

I THINK THE SPLIT RATE FOR PRE-M 1.5 LBS OF ai PER ACRE, WHAT YOU COULD TRY IS THE 2LB RATE WHICH (CHECK THE LABEL) WHICH IS 9600 SQFT PER BAG. I HAVE BOUGHT LESCOS 5-10-20 PRE-M THIS MAKES A NICE WINTERIZER FOR WARMSEASON.

IGROTURF

6. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

The apply rate is 4.0 lbs/1K. Thats why I thought you meant split app with 2 lbs. per. For me, split apps for fall is not needed, I just need to make sure I get it down early enough so there will be minimal to no post-m spraying with Atrazine or Round-Up (with a surfactant) on dormant turf. However, split applications of 2 lbs per 1K is recommended in spring for maximun control for crabgrass.