Preen, Anything Cheaper?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by shawn'slawns, Jul 20, 2002.

1. shawn'slawns

shawn'slawns LawnSite Member

O.K. I'M GETTING SICK OF $20.00 BUCKS A POP FOR A BAG OF PREEN. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT I CAN SUBSTITE FOR WEED PREVENTION IN NEW/EXSISTING BEDS? ALSO I TEND TO USE ALOT OF WEED KILLER (TOTAL VEGITATION KILLER) FOR PATIOS AND GRAVEL DRIVES CURRENTLY USING TRIOX/ORTHO TOTAL VEG KILLER, AGAIN THE COST!! BUT THE STUFF SEEMS TO WORK GREAT.:confused:

2. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

How many sf does that $20 bag cover?

Roger

3. Greenie

Greenie LawnSite Member

Simazine 4L mixed with Round-Up, according to directions sprayed on gravel drives, walks, patios, etc. works well and provides coverage for up to one growing season. Simazine 4L should be less expensive than Preen and should work for you in flower beds.
    You should be licensed as an applicator to apply pesticides for customers and for public places.

4. BLL

BLL LawnSite Member
    from MD

is simazine a pre emergent herbicide? I'm assumig its sprayable if mixing with roundup adn where can you get it. I am trying the Snapshot this year as preemergent on beds but its a ranular. About $77 a bag but it does about 5000 ft^2 i think/

5. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

Snapshot will treat ~1/2 an acre at the low rate.

Roger

6. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

im with the yankee clipper snapshot is the way to go... we use quite a bit of it..

7. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

I use treflan granular made by American. Trifflouron, same as preen, and costs app. $10 a 15lb. bag Bag covers 2400 feet.

8. ubirajara83

ubirajara83 LawnSite Member

is there a place where I can find a local dealer?

9. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at farm supply outlets, nurseries, landscape/irrigation stores...

I use Snapshot and can purchase it at either an agricultural store or at one of the irrigation speciality stores.

10. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

love the snapshot