Preen Crabgrass Preventer and Foxtail

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ertert, May 8, 2005.

1. ertert

ertert LawnSite Member

Last week I applied Preen crabgrass preventer which is supposed to prevent crabgrass (obviously), foxtail, and some other weeds. A couple of days ago, I noticed that there was foxtail beginning to grow in my lawn which was not there when I applied the fertilizer. I had a similar problem last year, and I was wondering if I applied the fertilizer wrong or not. It doesn't make sense that the fertilizer seed would develop into weeds, but then again I'm not too sure.

2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Lets say you are licensed , why , because there are some here who will attack you if you're not .

Preen is not 100% effective .
    I've got nothing more , sorry

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Crabgrass preventer should have been applied over 1 month ago. Prior to Forsythia's going into bloom.

You were entirely too late for your application to control this particular grassy weed. Who knows, with the cooler temps as of late, you may still be OK in July when Crabgrass starts jumping.

You may want to apply this product again in early December and then again in late March for guaranteed next season control.

4. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

Foxtail in Delaware, if your sure it's Foxtail get after it with Drive herbicide while it small and immature. You might want to get your pre emergent down a little sooner.