1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Preen for flower beds??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by gscone, Mar 8, 2005.

1. gscone

gscone LawnSite Member
    from NY

What do you guys recommend using to control weeds in my flower beds? I was looking at Preen, but thought I'd check in here with the pro's...

BTW- I'm not an LCO, but a homeowner..
  2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

My expirience has been that preen works quite well. I know of a landscape company in my area that puts preen down under every bed they install.
  3. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Preen should work well. Check the label. My guess is you do not want to work it into the flower bed. Just broadcast over the top. It is a root pruner. Also follow the rates very closely. More can be harmful. I would plant my flowers and water them in well, and wait a week before I applied the preen. In perennial beds you do not have to be as careful.
  4. scagster

scagster LawnSite Member
    from n.ohio

treflan is pretty good $26 a bag, snapshot is the best@ $75 a bag
  5. sprayman73703

sprayman73703 LawnSite Member

Preen is Treflan (triflurilan). It works well by killing weeds as they germinate. Of course remember GET IT WATERED OR WORKED IN IMMEDIATLY! The sun will break it down very fast. Just hours can make a huge difference.
  6. gscone

gscone LawnSite Member
    from NY

Thank you all for the replies. Does anyone know whether this should be applied prior to plantint the flowers or when I plant the flowers?
  7. AlpineNaturescapes

AlpineNaturescapes LawnSite Member

Ditto. Preen is crap next to snapshot, but if the weeds in your area stay out with Preen, then fine - but don't pay for the diluted Preen. Get commercial treflan.
  8. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I would apply it after you plant and the plants are watered. You want the soil settled in around the roots before you apply. Otherwise it could get washed down to the flower roots. Read my previous post. I lost a bunch of tree seedling. I planted them and applied herbicide immediately after planting. We got a good rain within a couple hours. I think I was using snapshot and barricade, or pendulum.