Preen or Snapshot

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by jjacobsgrounds, Mar 12, 2010.

1. jjacobsgrounds

jjacobsgrounds LawnSite Member

Just curious to find out what you all use (if any) for pre emergent weed control in plant beds. Also would like to know sources for wholesale prices. I'm doing a lot of bed maintenance and applying a granular before mulching this spring.

www.jjacobsgrounds.com

2. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

I used snapshot this year for the first time. So far none of my winter annual beds have any weed in them and I haven't had to pull anything. The only time I bend over in my beds now is to deadhead my pansies. Thanks God!

3. Superior L & L

Superior L & L LawnSite Senior Member

snapshot is way better than preen. Just make sure it is applied right. I personally have used treflan for 10-12 years now. I think its about $35 per bag. Based on application rates on the bag you could do something stupid like 200 yds of mulch with it. But ive yet to see this happen!

4. Southern Elegance

Southern Elegance LawnSite Member

preen is a treflan based pre emegerent. preen is just a brand name. you can use treflan 3-4 times throughout the year and get great results, cheaper than you can use snap shot once per year. we normally alternate every year

5. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

we have been loyal snapshot users for around 8years, but started to lose control so made a switch to Freehand 1.75G for this year, we will see. it is cheaper, uses pendi and a new chem for control over yellow nutsedge which has become a huge problem in my beds. i thought if i can get control over that than i am a winner!! suppliers are everywhere. do some searching

6. Gold Star Lawns

Gold Star Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

snapshot is good...apply at the proper time and the effects are usually pretty good in my opinion.

7. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

snapshot is KING! 6 months vs. 3 months snap is a very good product

8. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

Used preen at my house before but since using snapshot on the jobs its all i use anywhere now.

9. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Have you guys used any sedghammer for existing nutsedge ??? I've got a couple of properties with nutsedge, luckily it's not out of control up here yet, but I have a couple of places that I need to get it under control.

10. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i would have loved to consider sedgehammer( and i have some) to use in the beds for the problem, but the kicker is it seems 90% of the nutsedge is actauly in the shrubs where you cant spray it. that is why i am putting blind faith in this new Freehand to help curb this issue.