Preen.... Where do you buy? Online or in the store?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Blades of Steel, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

Do any of you guys use Preen in your clients beds? Mine at home has zoysia trying/succeeding to grow under the bed edging. Its driving me nuts. :angry:

My question is ......WILL PREEN HELP? I read that it will but would like your expert advise.

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Isn't Preen a PRE-emergent herbicide? Sounds like you need a POST-ermergent one. Preen/Snapshot is great for new installs, or for cleaned out areas. But not for existing weeds/grasses. Try Round-Up.

3. Blades of Steel

round-up works for a while but i need something that will keep it out for good. I plan to till it all up this fall and try and get something in the soil to prevent the grass and weeds from returning.

You know us Lwan Guys..... No time for our own crap... Just everyone elses..

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would use a round up or a total vegetation kiler, but be very careful

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Do NOT use total vegetation killer (such as Triox) in the beds, if there is ant plants or grass nearby. This stuff moves through the soil. Roundup is the safest bet, THEN a pre-m, if the surface is not going to be disturbed.

6. Blades of Steel

here was the plan..

It has some monkey grass, box woods, 2 Japanese maples and other things in ther. I was going to skin it down with the trimmer, spay it with round up and then till it up and add some preen for next year....

Whatcha think?

I just don't have time to care for it like i used to. I figure its time for chemical warfare.....

7. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

Have you considered tank mixing Quick Pro (the new Roundup product with a touch of diquat ) with Ronstar 50 WSP? Labeling for the Ronstar product says you can mix the two. The Ronstar comes in a PVA packet you just drop in the tank.

I haven't done this myself...yet.

Just a thought.

8. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

round up - pro or hand pull, then follow up with Treflan - pre-em. get it at farmer's elevator. that is what we do.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is why I said be very careful with it:D

10. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Consumer Preen is (at least used to be - ingredients can change) the same ingredient as Treflan: trifluralin. This PREVENTS GERMINATION of a couple of dozen - mostly grassy - weeds. Professional Preen is a slightly lower concentration of AI of Snapshot. They are combos of trifluralin and isoxaben, and will PREVENT GERMINATION of over a hundred weeds.

My caps above are to be understood, please. No germination preventer will control the spread of zoysia, or any other plant already growing. Bite the bullet and properly install good edging to control your zoysia spread into beds. If you have any gaps, holes, cracks, or slots (like in metal edging), your zoysia will find its way through these.