Prefab pond

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by NewHorizon's Land, Feb 24, 2007.

1. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

I had a customer ask if I could install a pre-fab pond for her. She wants one with a waterfall and wants the waterfall to be totally above ground and the pond half to be partially above ground. How to I tackle this job? Anyone have any pics of jobs they have done like this? Thanks

Justin

2. NewHorizon's Land

No comments?

3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

justin - We typically don't install prefabs because of the inherant problems w/ them. (cracking, difficult to repair, unable to use a skimmer, etc.) We did do a job about 8 years ago w/ a prefab. (was actually for my sister and she didn't have a ton of money, so I did it at cost) I think I have a pic. For the size, I thought it turned out OK, but knowing what I know now, I probably would have steered her towards a liner. I didn't do the lighting!:rolleyes:

Chris

Pond1.jpg

Pond2.jpg

4. NewHorizon's Land

Thanks Chris. How wold you install a liner when the customer wants the waterfall above ground? Would you just add dirt? Seems like over time that would settle?

5. cgland

Add soil and build up that way. You will find that it won't settle that much after you are done steppin on it an kneelin in it. Plus, always leave extra liner around the edges for settlement. You could also try a waterfall box. This will put your falls about 24" out of the ground if you install a leveling pad for it to sit on.

Chris

6. NewHorizon's Land

What is a waterfall box?

7. cgland

A waterfall box is a "box" used to initiate your waterfall. It is usually black w/ a lip on the front that is detachable for installing the liner. Many companies sell them. Do a search for skimmers or waterfall boxes. I'm sure some pics and descriptions will come up.

Chris

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i don't think I've ever seen a pre-fab that looks good installed (no offense chris). You just can't get that natural look to them with a big black hole with no rocks or plants in it.

New Horiz, check out Aquascape's website, they've got a lot of pictures and can help you get an idea of what you need. Their material is pretty good too. You can probably piece something together cheaper if you wanted to, but I find buying kits is the simpliest way to do it, one phone call and everything is ready to go. I don't have to drive all over the earth looking for that one fitting or pump.

9. cgland

Matt - No offense taken. I know it's crap!:dancing:

Chris

10. NewHorizon's Land

Thanks Chris and Matt. It really helped. If I get the job I will post the pics for sure.