1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

preference or quality issue

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green-Pro, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious, with all the posts discussing ZTR mowers and the various brands is there anything a guy needs to be aware of with the John Deere Z-Trak series? I am planning to purchase the 737 w/ Striper kit and 717A w/ bagger. Never seem to see J.D equipment mentioned so wnted to solicit some opinions.

Thanks, :confused:
  2. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

IMO, the stamped deck does not do a good job discharging grass. That might be obsolete thinking now (if they have new design since buying Dane) but it's what will forever stick in my mind.
  3. Tony1045

Tony1045 LawnSite Member

I think you'll be happy with the JD. I just purchased a 727A back in June of this year and find that it cuts quite well. As far as the stamped decks discharging the grass as well, I have no complaints and see no difference. I have used a Lazer HP before and found no difference in the way the grass is discharged. The bottom line in this "what mowers better" discussion is personal preference, simple as that. Whats might be good to you might not be to someone else, ect...ect...ect... Also, IMO, an important factor to remember in this equation is finding a GOOD dealer who stands behind what he sells. Just my 2 cents.
  4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe you said a mouthful there, the dealer I am planning on buying these from is an excellent one indeed. We are in a rural area and it is in his own best interest to stand behind and service what he sells.

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Tony, Dealer support is at least half the decision to me. You need to find someone who stands behind what they sell, have a great service dept. and most important to me have the must have parts in stock.

6. QC Lawn Services

QC Lawn Services LawnSite Member

We have JD 737 and love the cut and the power of the machine. We didn't get a striping kit because grass doesn't strip well here, but we love our 737. It is built well, yet easy to service when necessary. You'll be happy. I also have to agree with Gravelyman in that dealer support is key. If they won't help you there are always more.
  7. jpeters

jpeters LawnSite Member

I have to be honest, I demoed a JD and did not like it. The seat was uncomfortable and it did not seem to have the blade speed as other mowers. But I totally agree with Tony1045....its all a matter of preference and where the best dealers are at. The dealer is as important as the machine. there is my input
  8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I demo'd a J.D. 19/48 stander. I thought the discharge was equal to, if not better than my 25/52 grasshopper. I don't know what the blade speed specs are, but it certainly seemed equal to the ghopper and better than my bob-cat w/b. I was impressed with the stripeability (I think I just made up a new lawncare word :) ) without any roller or kit.

I am on the verge of purchasing a 23/54 to replace 60" bob-cat w/b. If my dealer will still offer me the price I was quoted earlier this year, I'm going for it :cool2:
  9. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

oh yeah, there are quite a few guys on this site happy with the Deere ZTR's. Do a search and you should find more info.
  10. easycareacres

easycareacres LawnSite Senior Member

Id rather buy something that lasts solid, minor breakdowns, :) maintain yourself and buy aftermarket parts. dealers just love ya once you purchase.