Preferred Internet Source

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by 1BadHawk, Sep 12, 2005.

1. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

What, if any, internet sites do you prefer to get your supplies from? Based on quality, and customer service.

2. AceSprinkleRx

AceSprinkleRx LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

A quick search on this site will give you a ton of info. In fact, there is a thread on exactly this a few pages back.

~

3. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

ok Ill check again, I just went 4 pages and couldnt find anything.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Is there some reason you don't want to deal with local bricks-and-mortar irrigation suppliers?

5. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Price? I ended up buying everything from Ewing on my system, because they answered tons of questions for me and I could put my newbie hands on all the stuff I had been reading about here and on the manufacturers' websites. However, I could have saved a couple hundred dollars if I had been an a----le and gone back to the websites I started looking at.

If I knew exactly what I needed, I would be tempted to buy from sprinkler warehouse or one of the other internet sources. However, here's a little story on sprinkler warehouse. I called them, ready to order about a thousand dollars worth of supplies. I told the person that answered the phone that I wanted to ask a couple questions before I ordered. "There's no one here that can answer any question." --- Can you have someone call me? "No, post your question on our forum." --- I did last night, and no answer has been posted. "Be patient." That's when I got in my truck and drove to Ewing.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Big if, and the big reason you'd buy locally. As to an unanswered question on the forum you mentioned - where? Looks like the posts of the last few days have all had responses, except for a couple of unintelligible ones.

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We buy nothing locally. All we have here is a Home Depot and a Fergason.

We order from John Deere Landscapes and H.D Fowler. Both are around 200 miles away, but deliver :D

8. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Excellent question! We are becoming a society of disposable use and discount buyers. That guy at the parts counter who used to dig holes (I hope everybody has access to one of those, they are a dying breed too.) is a wealth of knowledge that you can't figure into that discount price that saved you fifteen cents. I get my digs in and tell my suppliers when they price themselves out, but I drop in and spend my money too. With the aggressive and diverse market in the KC metro, I do price shop, but I let my regular guy know when he gets beat, and often give him a chance to match up. Sometimes, your just closer to another source, and it pays to spread it around some if you have mulitple options. If dealer X can't get it ASAP, then maybe the guy across town can. That guy on the phone or getting your e-mail from the internet supplier either has it or he doesn't. He isn't going to try to find it. He isn't going to worry about follow up if you have problems. I buy 70+% from one supply house. I buy the rest from another irrigation supplier and a plumbing supply house. The plumbing house has been getting a bigger cut lately because they are more local for me and have started carrying more irrigation. The increased buying is a carrot so more things are available locally when I NEED it, without traveling 30 miles and wasting up to 2 hours. The guy 30 miles away, knows I'm doing it, and we are comparing prices regularly to keep everybody honest. He realizes that with gas over $3, I can't drive over for an order that won't total 50 bucks unless I have no other choice.

9. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, you misunderstood. I was trying to tell a story. Several weeks ago the sprinkler warehouse phone drone told me to post my questions to THEIR forum, where they were unanswered for days. My point was, if you have a specific list of what you want to buy, and you are not in the business where long term support is crucial (as Bryan points out), then those sites are tempting. I didn't buy there, but I was tempted. I paid Ewing about 300 dollars for their help and advice.

10. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Don't feel bad, $300 could be a LOT worse. Outfit I used to work for was wined and dined by Hydrologic when they came to the KC metro years back. They were around a $350k account and were shown a savings that would have droped that annual to under $300k. Ewing had entered the market at that time as well and prices from these two were VERY aggressive. My problem with both of them is the counter help is sub par in my opinion. They don't have anyone working the counter who could identify a lot of the antiques I excavate. To some contractors, that skill isn't a priority, but when my phone rings, the customers expect it. That's why I am so luck and get the privledge of maintaining some hydraulic systems, buckner controllers, etc. If it was easy, anybody could do it, and would do it for less.