Preferred method of dealing with clippings

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GTLC, Sep 29, 2003.

Your most used or preferred method of dealinng with clippings except in 21" mowers

1. Bagging

5 vote(s)
  2. Mulching

11 vote(s)
  3. Side discharge

29 vote(s)
  1. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

Your most used or preferred method of dealing with clippings except in 21" mowers
  2. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

i'm purchasing a side bagger for my lazer tomorrow. i have never bagged before.. what is everyone's take on it? i don't have many lawns that will require a lot of leaf cleanup. will the bagger do the job for the light leaf lawns?
  3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Expert, how many bushels will the bagger hold? You shouldn't have much of a problem with a Lazer Z. Go over them once or twice just to mulch the leaves, and then hook up the bagger and pick them up. Should go by pretty fast.
  4. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

work it: thanks for the reassurance. that was my plan, i know the smaller the clippings, the better. its a 2 bushel catcher. will hold about 10 cubic feet of discharge. on average it will weight 15-20 lbs, so not too much work to dump it.
  5. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

This works for me. This year is my first year. All of my customers (23 and counting) I tell them clippings put back into the lawn is better than taking them away. I figure by next year, I'll have enough money for a Vac for my Lazer HP and if they really want it then I can do it. Preferred method...side discharge with chute wide open!:blob3:
  6. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

We do not bag anything but 21"s. And I hope I never do.;)
  7. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

We just got our new bagger for the Scag. Can't wait to get some use out of it!
  8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

We do not bag - we return to earth what is hers.

We double blade with gators, and if the grass is heavy, mow in and keep chopping until it disappears. Usually, angle mowing or any type of mowing leaves nothing showing - no clumps, no windrows, or anything, wet or dry
  9. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

We have be in the mowing business for almost 30 years. We use to catch everything to make lawns look nice, but since inventing the MEG-MO blades we do not have to catch clippings (because there are none). Even this fall you wouldn't have to worry about picking up the leaves. With MEG- MO blades there is no clumping, no clippings and no deck cleaning.
  10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

are you telling me that you do not have to bag leaves at all?