Preferred method of removing leaves from overseeded lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Accu-cut Lawn Care, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you guys do when you have to remove leaves from newly overseeded lawns. I usually just mulch over them... or rake and bag.

2. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Use my blower and lightly blow them off

3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

seed before the leaves fall...

4. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

mow with a bagger

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto, just mow them up with the catcher on the mower (walker). I can't help it they were a month+ late getting their seeding done... Leave4s are falling now and it's either get them up or they will smother out the new grass. Drive carefully, try to not make quick turns. Blowing them off is usually not an option around here, neighbor might be a little heated if their lawn gets used as a collection spot...

6. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

So, I must be the only company in the world with late seeding customers?! Have you guys found that blowing migrates the seed? Also, to those that bag... wouldn't the seed get bagged, too?

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of seeded but germinated, but still tender. For seed laying on the ground, well honestly that's not right to begin with, it should be sliced in, and 2. i find that if it IS laying on top, as long as the soil/seed is moist it stays put ok. If it's dry (really good conditions for new seeds huh?) it does suck up easily!

8. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

If a customer wants their lawn seeded this late you should let them know you will do it early spring Because it is to late for that and that they will lose alot of the seed from leaf clean-ups or be smothered by the leaves.

9. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

Imo ! bagging would remove some seed, regular discharge would disperse the seed , and mulching would be the best of the worst scenarios. I believe it would at least force the seed back down close to where it was lifted with the mulched grass. I would lightly dampen the lawn if possible the help the seed stick to the soil.

10. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Funny story...I actually had a new client that I just added on call me and ask if she could have her lawn seeded after Thanksgiving. lol I had to nicely explain to her that the birds would really appreciate that, but the lawn....not so much.