Preferred Mower Blade

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Russo Power Equipment, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Russo Power Equipment

Russo Power Equipment LawnSite Member

Oem or aftermarket (ex: Scag or Oregon)? Fusion, high lift, gator, standard, etc.?

2. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

gator g5, scag 482878, scag 481711

3. TruSomethingOrOther

TruSomethingOrOther LawnSite Member

I've always used oem hi lift blades. Thinking about adding a set of gators though.

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

in general oem is of better quality steel such as the marbane that gravely, JD and scag uses. The fusions are OK but it is only in the cutting edge. After a few sharpening's you can wear through the fusion into the standard steel and they also ding up easier than marbane blades.

For aftermarket blades I like stens and oregon for the price compared to most oem blades.

5. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

My preferred lawn mower blades are the ones that best match the average conditions of that particular day.
    I've got med-lifts, hi-lifts, single notchers, Gator 3in1s, G5s. Know what your mower can/will do with a particular blade...then match them with the current conditions. Voila.
    To pick one blade to go with all year is akin to tying one arm behind one's back. One might be able to still mow...just not as effectively.

6. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

On my Dixie Chopper Classic been using Stens rolled air lift blades.
    On my Exmark Lazer Z been using Stens notched air lift blades.

These blades work very good for me and hold up pretty good for the $.

7. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I run Oregon rolled lift on all my mowers Fusion Blades .
    I sharpen every day so only take off very little, With a Blade Sharpener. Before sharpener I would go threw 2 sets per mower each month, now I change out every month Still good blades I sell them to other guys that don't want to pay full price for blades

If you turn the edge a blue tint means you lost the hardness of the blade