Preferred Mowing Setup

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kevvanderhoof, Nov 23, 2005.

1. kevvanderhoof

kevvanderhoof LawnSite Member

What is the preferred setup for mowing lawns? I am not talking about specific brands of mowers, but how many mowers, what size crew, what size truck, etc. I mow residential lawns (all sizes) as well as a medium sized commercial job. I will be doing some snow plowing next winter.

2. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

The preferred setup is one where you have the most efficient use of all workers and equipment.

If you take a 52" mower to a property with a 40" gate - you are not efficient
    If you have 4 workers on a small residential property and 2 guys don't have enough to do - you are not efficient
    If you use a 21" mower on a 3 acre property - you are not efficient

I think that you get my point.

Don't service "all sizes" of properties. Pick the size/type that you want and purchace the equipment that will be appropriate for those properties whether it be a 21" pushmower or a 10' wide area mower.

3. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

PTP has a good point. I do residentials mostly, and they're generally small lawns, so I stick with a 21" mower for now. no way I'm gonna fit a 60" ztr through a 36" gate. when I've got the extra cash, I'm putting a 32" wb into my lineup for more efficiency. I find that one man on small residentials gets plenty done, but 2 is a touch faster.