Preferred shovel?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I use 4" and 6" bullhead trenching shovels with wooden handles.

I've found that most other brands end up breaking, but I've yet to break a bullhead.
  2. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I use a bullhead, but I like a 5" for some reason. A sharpshooter is probably my favorite. Anyone know what the difference is between a sharpshooter and a drain spade?
  3. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

I like those small heavy all steel shovels that run $65-$85. Nothing shows laziness like a worker using their foot on the shovel when digging. The heavy shovels you should never need to use your feet. I was slow on catching on to them, I took me three years to even know they existed. And it is funny how they go missing and a LCO's that we work with all of a sudden have them on their trucks. I have never seen one break.
  4. Dirty Water

Trust me on this, I've got soil out here that even the heaviest shovel won't penetrate without a foot :)

But yeah, for the most part I agree with you.
  5. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

My preferred shovel is the one in someone elses' hands. :rolleyes:
  6. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Beat me to it. I rather enjoy pointing to a spot for someone to dig.
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Fiberglass-handled shovels and mattocks for the help, and old D-handle shovels for me, from a pallet of two-dollar shovels I got years ago.
  8. Dirty Water

D-handles are great for cutting sod, (with a square blade), but I could not use to dig.

The fiberglass/wood thing is a constant debate at our company, I prefer wood, most prefer fiberglass.
  9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

It's in the hands of the help that the wood handles break, and even a Home Depot fiberglass-handled mattock will endure the workload. Working under trees and near foundations got me used to D-handles, and yes, I use my feet.
  10. orionkf

orionkf LawnSite Member

What exactly are you using your shovel for, that you are less affective using your body weight?? Unless you are digging through sand, the shovel would have to be so heavy that you would need Popeye arms, or maybe I'm missing something??