Preferred Snowblower

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by cwlo, Nov 23, 2000.

1. cwlo

cwlo LawnSite Member

I have had a lot of luck with Toro snowblowers, and am currently looking at a 2450GTS. However, I am wondering if anyone has compared it to the Honda 520. The Honda seems to be a little more balanced of a machine as far as "feel" and weight distribution. From the specs, The Toro seems to have slightly more power, as its a 2 cycle versus the Honda 4 cycle. I'm guessing that perhaps there isn't much difference between the two machines. Anyone?

2. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

I too am very satisified with my toro snowblowers. We will be getting another snowblower here shortly. It most certainly will be a toro.

3. HandyHaver

HandyHaver LawnSite Member

This is my first year out and am having the same dilema as to which blower to get. I'm a few key strokes away from ordering one but it's a toss up between the Honda520A or the Toro CCR3650. Both machines have got good feedback out here. They both weigh in about the same,& both are about the same price. The Toro is a 6.5 hp 2 stroke, the Honda 5 hp 4 stroke. From reading past post and talking to guys in my area, they both are good reliable machines. I guess what's hanging me up here is "MORE POWER" (ARH..ARH..ARH).
    I have to make a decision here soon so any feed back on this theory would be appreciated

4. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Rememeber two strokes make all their power up in the rpm range, as soon as it bogs down, all your power is gone. With the four stroke, as the rpms drop the torgue goes up, and you have just as much power as at high rpms. I have had both four and two stroke single stage blowers, and the honda is way for us.
    Dino

5. HandyHaver

HandyHaver LawnSite Member

Thanks Dino,

Other than compressors, powerwashers & my lawnmower (all 4 stroke) I don't have that much experience with a 2 stroke engine. So what your telling me is that the 4 stroke will out power the 2 stroke under a load. If thats the case, it's a no brainer which unit will be on my truck.

6. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have gone with Toros and our happy. But this year we have 2 Toro's left and going to try 1 Crapsman oh Craftsman for a try. We will keep one of our Toros as a back up. Hey it might be worth the $300.00 difference! If not we still got the Goodones.

7. plowking35

from S.E. CT

We have had both types of blowers, and in light snows it wont make a dif what kind you have. But in deeper snow, the rpms drop on the 2 strokes and the distance they throw the snow is greatly reduced. In the same conditions, the honda even tho bogging down a bit, will still throw the snow farther, and wont lose rpms anywhere near as fast. I also had alot of problems with moisture getting in the 2 stroke fuel systems from being on the truck all day or night with snow falling. With the honda, one pull and you are up and running.
    Dino

8. Greenman2ooo

Greenman2ooo Banned

Dino-

My local dealer sells Toro and Honda and said the Honda was much better because of the fuel/moisture problem you spoke of with the two stroke. He said the Honda starts on pull #1 no matter what.

Is Honda the only maker that manufactures single stage 4 stroke snowblowers? Seems Honda is really onto something with their 4 cycle products.

John

9. Samurai WeedWacker

Samurai WeedWacker LawnSite Member

Another advantage of Hondas single-stage snowthrowers is the speed at which the discharge chute may be turned. The Toros I've had have used a crank which is a lot slower than the handle used by Hondas.

10. plowking35

from S.E. CT

I havent seen any other 4 stroke single stage blowers. I did a monster 7 hp toro yesterday, but it weighed way more than I want to pick up. I hope the new 5.5 hp hondas are as good as the 6hp they replaced. I have the 621-6 hp and it is great.
    Dino