Preferred Trailer Size!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by theWRIGHTcut, Sep 15, 2008.

1. theWRIGHTcut

theWRIGHTcut LawnSite Member

i currently own a 5x12 single axle open trailer.... but I'm doing an equpiment and truck upgrade soon! :dancing:....

what trailer is most popular among you guys? i'm speaking in terms of enclosed trailers...

2. b121774

b121774 LawnSite Member

I like the pace summit 14x7 landscaper special with the taller roof and 5/8 ply sides, torsion suspension and heavy duty ramp.

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

well i have had many over the years 8*20 is nice
    i just got a 7*12 with a v-nose i really like
    u have to fit all your crap in it so that will tell you how big u need.
    some days i need a 53foot trailer and that would still be tooo small.:)

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I can't speak for enclosed trailors but my 6x14 dual axle often times seems too small. It isn't so bad when I just have the Z on it but when I have the Z, the 21 and a large pile of leaves/grass it is way too small. And with me thinking of adding a walkbehind to the trailer, I know that I won't be able to fit it all on there. I would way rather have a 7x16 or 7x18, with the 18 footer being my top choice. I have learned that it is better having a little too much space than too little of space.

5. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

6-7'x16-18' open is ideal to me

6. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

A 6.5 -7 foot open is about equal to an 8 foot enclosed as far as room to move around. With an open you can lean over and hang things on the rail. It all depends on what you need it for. I have an 8x20 enclosed and it is a little tight, but any larger and I couldnt do my route. As it is I already have had to make changes to my route parking.

A 12 will hold a 21, 48 and ZTR. A 16 will hold 2 ZTR usually, and a 20 will hold a 32 and 2 - bagging ZTRs.

7. theWRIGHTcut

theWRIGHTcut LawnSite Member

well my plan is to go commercial completely... now i only have 3 commercial accounts... and like 15 residential...

i want to have all small to medium size commercial accounts... i'm more of a solo effort, so here's what i have to work with... a 48" ransomes, 36" wright sentar sport, and i will be getting a 52", or 61" wright sentar soon... so call it, the 36" and the larger one on the trailer at all times... so i was thinking maybe 6x12 might fit me nicely?

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I bet if we took a poll, 16 ft. would lead it. I use 18's, and am glad to have that extra 2 ft. There are WAY too many times we couldn't do without it. Next trailer I buy will be a 20'. It would just be so much more suitable for my needs. I want one trailer to carry two mowers (w/vacs) or a mower w/vac and the Permagreen to shoot off the side, along with about 3/4 ton of fert. and some chem.. I think with the right custom rack setup, this can be done. I can do this now, but it is rather tight.

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

For an enclosed, I would go with a minimum of 16'. The ideal size for me in an enclosed would be 20' so I have room to grow but it depends on your route and stops. I know I have a couple places where my truck and 16' trailer have to squeeze to park and not block things.

10. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

and this is an issue:confused::confused::confused:

lol