Preferred trimmer line type?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tonyr, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Folks,

This question may be vague to many I know, but from trimmer line that is square and line that is round, which style do you prefer for the bulk of your work requirements? round type or square type...

I have found with 2.4mm square it is good for heavy stuff but rough in fine trimming, no good for trimming grass off of concrete etc, the round I used to used wore out too quick, broke off etc, I'm trying to figure out whether you think round has a smaller contact edge, hense cleaner cut, than square as square is flat upon impact generally.

2. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I use "Gator" line. Its square..and tough.
  3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys, this is one of those topics that's been beaten to death, left lay in the road, and recycled through buzzard poop it's been discussed so many times.
    Do some searches for trimmer line and read for a while.
    The consensus is = no matter what kind of trimmer line it is, somebody likes it.
    Which makes it fall into the "what's best" question category.
  4. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

I use sqaure 0.75. Desert extorsion.
    Very good alrounder. I use it in most applications.

I think the sqaure cuts cleaner than the round in my experiance.
    Rev's have a lot to do with the cleanlyness of the cut.(ping it right out)

Yes I agree square would be flat on contact and I think this cuts better. JMO
  5. Tonyr

Thanks Alex,o-so-n-so, the exact feedack I wanted, I'm thinking of trying the stuff from ASP in Brissy, they sell both and different to max-sharp that I currently use.

Sorry Rustic Goat, didn't mean to waste folks time, now what confuses me about this forum is, if a topic can be discussed and when dead can't be reborn by a new member, then this forum is going to get very quiet as most topics I read have been talked to death at some earlier point, ongoing conversations at what forums are about, the search feature is great, and I use it, but this instance I wanted fresh comments. If what I did is wrong, turn this into a bloody search engine and stop the forum, these are 2 different things, which do you guys want then?? Fresh views to old topics or just old threads and no conversation? hmmmm.

5 lines of text to say read old posts, could of commented in a few words which type of product you prefer, would of saved you time and effort. I hope I'm not out of line with this reply, Rustic, have a feeling you wanted me to bite :)
  6. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't get your shorts caught between your teeth, and no, I wasn't baiting.
    Point was try using search function before asking, you COULD find what you're looking for. If not found, you could consider stating that you have searched.

The entire reason I brought this up was I knew trimmer line has been covered numerous times and many posts, that's all.

Didn't say anything about not calling up old threads.
    Your reasoning kinda takes both trails. Say you want to be able to bring up old threads, then say you want fresh input. Well, go for it, never said you COULDN'T do either.
  7. Tonyr

Didn't say anything about not calling up old threads.
    Your reasoning kinda takes both trails. Say you want to be able to bring up old threads, then say you want fresh input. Well, go for it, never said you COULDN'T do either.

No, you didn't say I couldn't do either, you did say I should of reviewed old posts before asking my question....didn't you?
    My point is, as I said, I wanted fresh comments, what harm is there in that?? Why not put a big message at the top of the forum pages and say, "do not post new threads until you have reviewed the old threads with our search facility!"
    Forum or search engine....?
    I thought we could post new threads about previously discussed stuff, most other posts I see are covered before and I haven't seen any comments to the poster about searching before posting by you.

Trimmer line has been spoke about, engine types, sizes, preferences, problems with efi, what mower is best, trailers, quoting, what hand help tool is best, what mulch blade works best, etc, etc, and my friend these same old posts keep on being reborm, why? Because this is what we are all here for, to discuss stuff in our industry! Whether I did a pre search or not should not effect whether I get replies, if it does, this ride is gunna be short.

I guess no one should need to post new threads, researching should answer all questions, without talking to others the forum will die, we come here to read and talk, not research old discussions only, but we all do, but not all the time.

I'm not going to play this anymore, don't like my posts, simple, don't comment on them.

Crikey, how did one question about bloody trimmer line lead to having a debate with you about me doing a search for my answer?

Can you honestly say you do searches before every question you ask here?
  8. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Rustic goat, Let em ask. We need reading mat,l. :drinkup:
  9. bpurser154

bpurser154 LawnSite Member

There are only a limited amount of companies that actually make line. They make inexpensive products which most companies use on their new units out of the box (lower cost). I would suspect they make medium priced, as well as top of the line. Then there are all kinds of unusual twists, twisted line, aluminum embedded in the line, etc, etc, etc. IMO they are all merchandising ideas placed in a good top of the line product, but they get folks to return and ask for the same thing again. Bottom line, buy a company's top of the line product, and you will not be dissatisfied. After all whatever, the shape of the line the very tip is the only portion that actually does the cutting, when one considers the RPM's.
  10. I only use round line. The only thing that makes a difference is the material the line is made of.

I get Shakespeare line from Wal-Mart. Size .080" (No I haven't a clue what that would be metric) Green so bits of it don't show in the lawn.:alien:
    Being thin makes it cut, saying Shakespeare on the spool makes it last. If I were edging a lot of asphalt I'd use heavier line.

As far as the search controversy goes I like what Team Gopher and some of the others do. If it's an old topic that's been brought up, they do a search and post a link.