preM and fertilizer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by griffy77, Feb 21, 2006.

1. griffy77

griffy77 LawnSite Member

I live in WV and spring is around the corner. I usually begin fertilizing now with fast acting fert with a high phosphorous level to help promote root growth. This year I was wanting to begin using sulfur coated fertilizer with a little higher N level to leach out in early spring for quick green up effect. I like to use weed and feed like scotts turf builder but rather something from lesco. MY question is this. If I put it down now in March even though weeds havent began to grow am i just wasting my time? Should I wait until around april when the grass begins grow to put down a weed and feed. Also I had bad infestation of crabgrass this past year and would like to use Dimension but not sure if I should put it down now in march or wait and put it down at the same time I apply the weed and feed. I have never used preM before but would like to give it a try this year to see if helps prevent crabgrass.

Another ? I usually seed in early spring but I am affraid if i use preM i will have to wait till fall? What is your feelings about seeding in spring. I have done both this year and on the lawns that i seeded early spring seemed to do well until mid summer when the heat arrived and killed most of everything i planted. I may have just answered my own ? but I still would like to hear from the pros on when is the best time to seed and using Pre M with a weed and feed in early spring.

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I always try to get all my pre-m apps done by April 15th, and usually start the 1st week of march. it has always been my opinion that the closer you get to the april 15th window the longer the crabgrass protection will last. as for seeding I would wait until early fall, that is a better time to seed anyway.

3. griffy77

griffy77 LawnSite Member

thanks for the feedback.

I think Iam going to use Dimension .10% 19-0-7 now. Then in late May Iam going to use weed and feed 21-0-12 then just spot treat with momentum throughout the summer.

I noticed that Stonewall prevents 29 annual weeds. Is this better than Dimension? My understanding is that Dimension only controls crabgrass. Wouldnt it make sense to use Stonewall that controls 29 diferent weeds than Dimension that only controls crabgrass?

Also if you have lawn that is thick with grass and verry few places for crabgrass to start is using a Pre emergent a waste.

Is it too early to fertilize or should I wait and just use weed and feed in late May on just the lawns that are thick and have little to no crabgrass?

4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I would fertilize within the next month, you wont need a high N for spring. I'm going with a 13-0-6 with pend. if you have a good thick turf and mow high you can get away without pre-m. you may want to spot treat along the sidewalk and drive then you can always spot treat with Drive if you need to later.