premergant

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by larry1189, Aug 31, 2005.

1. larry1189

larry1189 LawnSite Member

Was wondering do most of you guys use a preemergant? I do at times and sometimes I don't and i get great results. Maybe its a dumb question.

2. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Larry, it's a fantastic labor saving tool when used properly by licensed, skilled applicators. I believe nearly all commercial operators use it on their properties or have it applied by those who legally can. It's downside is the cost of the product, far too high to waste with misaplication or in an area where an extended labor cost cannot be recouped, like a one time planting or cleanup that is not specifically billed for the treatment or bundled into a longer term service agreement.

3. Poppy

Poppy LawnSite Member

Hope you don't mind me asking what a preemergent is? I think it may be some type of fertilizer but do not know. I love to cut grass but depend on a company here called Bio-Green. They only charge me $200 a year but they take care of the feed, weed, insects, disease and PH balance. They do a great job. As long as we get reasonable amount of rain, they keep me doing what I love to do about every 4 days and my grass looks better than carpet.

4. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

5. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Pre , before the weeds emerge
    Post , after the weed emerges

Preemergents are cheap .
    About a $1.25 per 1,000 sq ft

10,000 sq ft , $12.50 is your cost
    You can charge as much $200.00 ,
    Can take as little as 20 minutes to do
    Your profit , about $185.00 for 10 minutes of work at job site .

I've done 8 in one day .
    Not all were that much , most were $125.00 each