Premergent and new lawn install

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Wing 97, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Wing 97

Wing 97 LawnSite Member
    from CT

I don't do any chemical applications as part of my business but I am installing a new lawn for myself and was wondering if there was a premergent I could put down before seeding. I really didn't have a weed problem in the past but raised the grade with about 3-4 inches of top soil and I would like to prevent crab grass and such before it is a problem. How long after the application would I have to wait before seeding if the soil was watered frequently? Thanks for any information.
  2. gren4golf

gren4golf LawnSite Member

i would seed and starter fert now then wait about 10 wks put down dimension that should get you best overall rest of of season
  3. Wing 97

Wing 97 LawnSite Member
    from CT

Thanks, I did want to seed as soon as possible but figured if there was any preventative steps to take now it would be worth the delay. Thanks again.
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i thought dimension would damage a newly grown grass?
  5. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

Dont put dimension on new grass. If you need a Pre-emerge wait till fall to ensure full growth potential.
  6. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

Use Tupersan (spelling?) with new seeding, if you can find it. Then once Grass comes out and you cut it a few times put down Dimension if crabgrass isn't full blown by then.
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto. Tupersan or Siduron at seeding, usually they have a starter fert with them, and then in 30 to 35 days hit it with Dimension. Oh yeah, prepare to BEND OVER when you see the price... Usually about $40 a bag for 5,000 sq. ft. Scotts and Hi Yeild are the only 2 brands I really know of

Seeding in the spring is REALLY not the best thing to do. I laugh at all the joe homeowner types that get out there in the spring and tear up the ground and seed only to have the biggest weed and crabgrass patch on the block come july.

Don't get me wrong, it CAN be done, it's just more expensive to do it in the spring due to the weed competition. Where you are, not sure of your "zone" off hand, but it may or may not be as bad as it is here with the crabgrass. Here it's the state plant (ok, it should be) I had a few non-irrigated lawns, weed patches if you will, that I was gonna throw down pre emergent on, whelp the crabgrass has germinated ALREADY!!! This is gonna be a BAD year...
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yoou may want to consider Drive, too.
  9. Coreyb

Coreyb LawnSite Member

pre-m will kill grass seed. let it grow
  10. gren4golf

gren4golf LawnSite Member

dimension will not kill properly seeded turf after about 10 weeks or 3 cuts have done it many times it even says ok on label