1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Premier Site Work-Excavating Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by PremierSwrx, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Cornell

Cornell LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I'm with you.

I've ran into soupy material like this before and CTLs will get BURIED fast. I don't care if you have the biggest and baddest Cat 299D in the world, once the undercarriage is suctioned in you can't bucket your way out, esp if there isn't a bottom for 5-6 feet. I'd rather be in a reduced tail swing like the PC228 or the companies new 235LCR excavator, way more options to get unstuck that way with mud mats.

I'd take a look in dirtmans thread for ideas, he's been in bad stuff like this before
  2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I personally agree with this. Whether anyone else (customers) cares who the pictures in a website actually belong to, I don't know for sure. Every photo on my website is mine. I have one photo that has a picture of a 721D in it, that machine was rented, other than that, the machines and jobs are mine. I personally could not fill a website with work I did not do. Customers are looking at your website and "assuming" its your work they are looking at. After all they went to your website to learn more about YOUR company. It just seems dishonest to build a site with clip art. However those are my feelings, and like I said, whether or not anyone else gives a shitt I have no idea.

I think anyone that has been in this line of work for any period of time has had jobs that you just miss bid for whatever reason. My biggest personal issue is, I get busy and kick a number out without putting as much thought into the details as I should. As the saying goes, "the devil is in the details". This project apparently was known to be a problem child. I don't know what your going to do to solve it, however going forward, I would suggest hiring a quality estimator if you don't have the experience to put numbers on jobs like this.
  3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I think the issue with the reduced tail swing machines is the increase in weight. They may give you advantages in some ways, but the extra weight of the machine would be a disadvantage.

As to CTL, I think this is best done with an ASV. Lightest weight machine, wide and long tracks, and the suspended undercarriage would keep vibration to a minimum and possibly keep the ground from pumping.

I think ultimately you will have to spend some time and money experimenting with several different options on site. Until you actually put machines on site and start moving material, its impossible for anyone to know for sure what will work. I would put a plan into motion and continue to refine your plan based on what the ground will allow you to do.
  4. PremierSwrx

PremierSwrx LawnSite Member

Thank-you everyone for your input, I'm going to try and answer as many questions as I can:
    Project Value $50K, Total down 14k
    There's a lot of provisions in our contract for unforeseen issues, things even as we don't operate when temps are less than 35 degrees. Problem thought is half this community signed never read the contract and when we throw contract terms at them they get all upset.

I would like to see if we cant review the contract and double or triple the price. But not sure if that will happen, I'm 100% for trying to complete the project and look good at the end.

Now I think AEL mentioned 30' mats, I like the idea now if I put 30' mats down do you think I can run a 320 and rock truck out there? I know plenty of guys with single axles dumps if we needed to go that route.

We are only removing about 2-3' of soil depending on the spot deepest is 3'
  5. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

Guys it's been proven many many times before by lots and lots of contractors and i have witnessed it multiple times on my own jobs , mud mats are the way to go. We have muskeg in northern Canada that has no bottom whatsoever ( way worse then sediment in a pond) and using swamp mats or mud mats machines as large as 345 cats walk over this stuff.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. PremierSwrx

I have a handful of mud mats like 6 that are older than me! what's the best way to build them/ where to buy them?
  7. AEL

Don't even try brining rock trucks out there. Bail the material multiple times . Start at the farthest point away from the shore and work your way back until you can load a rock truck while it is sitting on solid ground .
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. PremierSwrx

We are going to be bailing a long way! Maybe Two Excavators feeding each other? As you mentioned before?
  9. AEL

10. jmacd

jmacd LawnSite Member

I know for a fact that the GC's I deal with have other options then us. They can hire any number of sub contractors and the price can be negotiated.

What GC's care about has nothing to do with the photo's, it has to do with the reasons they are there. It is about integrity.

Were on the web site does it say they are stock photo's?

If the OP put that much effort in a web site that was not even his work than what is going to be the next lie after he signs a contract. The only GC's he will get a chance at are the one's that have no other options.

Why would a you hire a company that misrepresents who they are when you can hire many that don't.