Premium "double thick"edger blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Feb 8, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Have any of you tried the Premium "double thick" edger blades from ECHO? Whatcha think of 'em? If not what do you think of them anyway? Would the wider cut look good. Would it really help? Do customers prefer them or detest them or not care?

2. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

They worked well for me. Seemed to last a while longer.
    But boy do they do some work on sprinkler heads.
    Jim

3. tlcgrounds

tlcgrounds LawnSite Member

I like the thicker edger blades but I can't buy them in bulk. If I could just get the blades instead of the extra hardware they give you I'd be happy.

4. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

What about the wider groove they leave? How does it look???

5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

When I bought my new echo stick edger, my dealer put one of the echo heavy duty blades on and said, let me know what you think. He said he buys them in bulk and said he sells them for, I think he said about $1.50 each. I have not used my edger enough yet to compare with a standard blade so sorry, I can't give a good opinion yet. It does cut a wider grove than the standard blade. I was paying $1.00 per blade so the extra duty blade might be worth it, time will tell.

6. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

I'm paying $1.70 @ the local HomeDepot for edger blades.
    I'd be interested in a source to buy for a buck in bulk.

Anyone else use double blades? it leaves a thicker groove which looks good, and only the right blade (the sidewalk side) wears out fast.

7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

My source is a local guy who has a booth at the flea market. He carries alot of commerical parts including blades,belts,tires,filters at very fair prices. For example:Blades for my 48" Exmark (heavy duty)3 for about $23.00. I go to the dealer only if he does not have it or can't get it. I know there are alot of online sources for mower parts. Try doing a search. As far as double blades on an edger? not sure about that.(I assume that's what you are asking)Maybe someone here can shed some light on that.

8. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

That's what I meant - I use two blades on my PowerTrim edger - it works fine & the blade on the sidewalk-side wears a little faster (due to intermittent scraping against the concrete).

9. tlcgrounds

tlcgrounds LawnSite Member

I think what some of the guys are trying to say is that the echo blades do not wear as fast as the aftermarket kind. I think they are made of a harder metal and they are a bit thicker.