"premium" gasoline for ride-on's

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Mar 28, 2010.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

In the past we've used 87 octane (avoiding ethynol), but we just switched to "premium" (also no ethynol) cuz the cost is only about 17 cents per gallon more, and our ride-on's seldom use more than 2 gallons per day (so that's only about 30 cents a day).

Our Stihl rep strongly suggested using "premium" for our 2-cycle gas, so now I'm thinking it's probably not a bad idea for our ride-on's as well.

Wondering what you guys prefer and why???? Thanks, rscvp, americanlawn. :usflag:

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I have been thinking the same thing, but I always fill up the ride-on gas can when I fill the truck and its just easier to just use the same nozzle and pay once. but its prob not a bad idea.

3. SeedPro

SeedPro LawnSite Bronze Member

I honestly don't think it makes a difference. Unless you're getting run on or knocking and pinging from your machine then it needs a higher octane fuel. Save your money.

What does rscvp mean? You say it often.

I know RSVP means répondez s'il vous plaît or please respond.

4. americanlawn

from midwest

It's French for "please respond if you please". Whenever you see "RSCVP", it means the post is personally my own, instead of one of my guys or another LCO bud who is here. (keep in mind that I am personally responsible for all posts under the americanlawn name). Most guys don't know this, but I have a "man cave" with 2 acres here where several guys hang out after work. We sell fert to them & work together with several other LCO's. It's nice to get along. BTW 3 of us are here now watching NCAA basketball. Go Big Ten.

Oh oh --------------MICHIGAN STATE JUST WON!!! GO BIG TEN :usflag::usflag:

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Larry - why you rootin for Mich. State?? They (barely) beat UNI. As for me, I'll take Butler.

Also, I run E10 thru all my machines, never had a problem. How do you even find eth. free gas??

6. americanlawn

from midwest

I always root for the BIG TEN (unless they play against UNI). Now watching Baylor & Duke......could not care less in this one. One of my guys here just changed to NBC to watch GOFF :confused::hammerhead::hammerhead:

Too bad NASCAR & INDY got rained out today. May have to search reruns to get us by, cuz GOFF ain't cuttin' the mustard.

7. SeedPro

SeedPro LawnSite Bronze Member

The drags are on from Charlotte.....I'm surprised.

4 wide racing too....kinda neat.

8. americanlawn

from midwest

Nuther 4-wide being built in Vegas riight now. Cool stuff.

9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I just got my tank filled this week at my place and talked to my gas man about it (how funny).

He told me that the higher grades were pretty much a joke and that 87 was good enough for anything. He said that the middle grade is just a blend of the low and high grade.

Anyway..I just thought I would share what he said!

10. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

Go WVU
    Putting prem gas in something that does not need it [don't ping or knock ] is a wast of money thats 30 cents in my pocket
    Charles Cue